Does Gravity Expand and Collapse or is it Always Present?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and whether it is constantly present or if it takes time to reach objects. It is mentioned that according to Einstein's theory, gravity travels at the speed of light. The example of two apples and a planet is used to explain the concept. It is also mentioned that the effects of removing the planet depend on whether the apples were on the planet or not.
Zeteg
I'm aware that all matter generates their own Gravity, and thus everything is held together, for the Gravity part anyway. However, my question is: Is Gravity all existant, or does it expand/collapse at a rate?

To clairify my question a bit, I'll ask this. If we were 2 apples in space at quite a large distance apart, and we were to create a planet inbetween them, that had the gravity to pull the apples in, within a short time frame.
Now, is the Gravity instantly existent at the apples, when the planet is created, or does it take time for the Gravity to reach the apples?

Similarly, if we were to nullify the planet, would the gravity instantly dissapear, or would it gradually nullify?

Thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity, as proposed by Einstein, travels at the speed of light. Put a planet in betweent he apples, and the gravity will travel in ripples until reaching it's destination. If you remove the planet, I must ask the question, "Are the apples on the planet?" If so, then the affects of removing the planet will be immideately. Otherwise, it will take time to notice the change.

Ah, thank you :)

No problem, dude.

1. What is the expansion of gravity?

The expansion of gravity, also known as the expansion of the universe, refers to the gradual increase in the distance between all galaxies and celestial bodies in the universe. This expansion is thought to be caused by the force of gravity.

2. How does the expansion of gravity affect objects in the universe?

The expansion of gravity causes the space between galaxies to stretch, resulting in a decrease in the gravitational pull between them. This can lead to the separation of galaxies and the formation of new structures in the universe.

3. What is dark energy and how does it relate to the expansion of gravity?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. It is believed that dark energy makes up about 68% of the total energy in the universe and plays a significant role in the expansion of gravity.

4. Can the expansion of gravity be observed?

Yes, the expansion of gravity can be observed through the redshift of light from distant galaxies. This is when the wavelength of light is stretched as it travels through expanding space, causing it to appear more red and indicating that the object is moving away from us.

5. What is the significance of studying the expansion of gravity?

Studying the expansion of gravity can provide insights into the history and future of the universe. It can also help us understand the fundamental laws of physics and the properties of dark energy, which is still not fully understood. Additionally, it can aid in the search for potential solutions to the mystery of dark matter and its role in the expansion of the universe.