Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The exterior Schwarzschild spacetime

1. Dec 26, 2015 #1
    The Schwarzschild spacetime is defined by the following line element
    \begin{equation*}
    ds^2 = - \left( 1 - \frac{2m}{r} \right)dt^2 + \frac{1}{1-\frac{2m}{r}}dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2\sin \theta^2 d\phi^2.
    \end{equation*}
    We can use the isotropic coordinates, obtained from the Schwarzschild coordinates by the following transformation
    \begin{equation*}
    r = \overline{r}\left( 1 + \frac{m}{2\overline{r}}\right)^2
    \end{equation*}
    to obtain a new form for the Schwarzschild metric given by
    \begin{equation*}
    ds^2 = -\left( \frac{\overline{r} - \frac{m}{2}}{\overline{r}+\frac{m}{2}} \right)^2dt^2 +
    \left( \frac{\overline{r} + \frac{m}{2}}{\overline{r}}\right)^4(d\overline{r}^2 + \overline{r}^2d\Omega^2),
    \end{equation*}
    where $\Omega = d\theta^2 + \sin \theta^2d\phi^2$.

I read in various books that the exterior Schwarschild spacetime is defined as follows
    \begin{equation*}
    \left( \mathbb{R} \times (\mathbb{R}^3 \setminus B_{m/2}(0), (1 + \frac{m}{2|x|})^4 (dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2) - \left( \frac{1-\frac{m}{2|x|}}{1 + \frac{m}{2|x|}} \right)^2 dt^2 \right)
    \end{equation*}
    with $|x| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}$.

I don't understand how we obtained the last form ? Why are we considering the manifold to be specifically $\mathbb{R} \times (\mathbb{R}^3 \setminus B_{m/2}(0)$ and why did the $d\Omega^2$ term disappear ?
    thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because this is the exterior by definition, i.e., the space-time outside of the event horizon.

It did not, it is just a transformation from spherical to linear coordinates, ##dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 = dr^2 + r^2d\Omega^2##.

Edit: Oh, and you cannot use $ for LaTeX in text, please use ## or the itex tags instead.

4. Dec 26, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the response! Concerning the exterior region, is it asymptotically flat ? I am not too familiar with those notions in general but I was reading that for an asymptotically flat manifold, we would have the end of the manifold diffeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^3 \setminus K## where ##K## is a compact and this is exactly the form we have

5. Dec 27, 2015 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. The Schwarzschild spacetime is the prototypical example of an asymptotically flat spacetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook