Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The fabric of space time

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    I've heard there is a maximum magnetic field intensity in a neutron star. could this be related to the properties of the fabric of space time. I'm thinking of the idea that mass distorts spacetime for example the bowling ball in the sheet demonstration. My question is, is the max magnetic field intensity caused by the max "curverature" of space time? If this is so, then could the max magnetic field intensity figure be a factor that could be used in the future to tell us more about how the fabric of space time is constructed?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As far as I know, magnetic fields are not directly related to the curvature of space-time. For instance, magnetic fields occur in special relativity, where space-time is flat.

In terms of easily measurable and understood quantities, the curvature of space-time is most directly related to tidal forces.

I'm not at all sure if there is any fundamental limit on magnetic field strength. The Schwinger critical field is a limit on (rest-frame) electric field strength, for a field stronger than this will tear electron-positron pairs out of the vacuum which will tend to neutralize the field.

A magnetic field is just a transformed electric field, but there isn't any limit as to how fast one can pass through an electric field. The transformation laws which describe how electric fields generate magnetic fields include a factor of gamma, see for example

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/ElectromagneticFieldTensor.html

thus the Schwinger critical field could be transformed into as high a magnetic field as desired by a sufficiently quickly moving observer.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?