The Facts Everyone Should Know Test

In summary, the person did poorly on the literature questions and did better on the questions about other cultures.
jimmysnyder said:
The urban legend page seems conflicted:

1. John Hanson was president of the United States.

Where does it say that? All I see is a description of the legend, followed by a debunking, which includes the sentence:

And John Hanson couldn't possibly have been the "first president of the United States," because neither the office of President of the United States nor the nation known as the United States of America was created until after he was dead.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the paragraph in the url that I referred to. Emphasis is mine

The key point here is that the Articles of Confederation did not create a nation called "the United States of America." They created, as stated in the first two articles, an alliance of thirteen independent and sovereign states who had agreed to "enter into a firm league of friendship with each other" while retaining their "sovereignty, freedom, and independence." The title of the confederacy so created was designated "The United States of America," but no nation with that name was created by the Articles of Confederation, any more than the formation of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization resulted in the establishment of a nation known as "NATO."

The url is correct in noting the designation. Here is the text from the document itself.

Article I. The Stile of this Confederacy shall be "The United States of America."

jimmysnyder said:
The url is correct in noting the designation. Here is the text from the document itself.

Article I. The Stile of this Confederacy shall be "The United States of America."

Where does it say he was the president? It says he was the first to preside over the Congress under the Articles of the Confederation. In fact, the article goes on to explain that although the words "United States of America" were used, it was not a nation and did not refer to the United States of America as we understand it today. How do you feel that this is conflicted?

SpaceTiger said:
It says he was the first to preside over the Congress under the Articles of the Confederation.
Isn't presiding what a president does? :confused:

Monique said:
They didn't even ask who was the first president of the US :rolleyes:
We know that, hence the following:

Danger said:
this post seems to indicate that the test was asking about the first president. That's not what I meant.

Last edited:
SpaceTiger said:
Where does it say he was the president?
It is implicit in the statement that the Articles of Confederation did not create a nation. Why mention it unless he was its president? Which he was. Which they did not deny. On rereading the article, I confirm my characterization of it.

jimmysnyder said:
It is implicit in the statement that the Articles of Confederation did not create a nation. Why mention it unless he was its president? Which he was.

So you're claiming that, contrary to their statement in the first paragraph of the snopes article, an office called "President of the United States" was created by the Articles of the Confederation. Do you have a reference to back this up?

Article 9 (excerpt): The United States in Congress assembled shall have authority to appoint a committee, to sit in the recess of Congress, to be denominated 'A Committee of the States', and to consist of one delegate from each State; and to appoint such other committees and civil officers as may be necessary for managing the general affairs of the United States under their direction -- to appoint one of their members to preside, provided that no person be allowed to serve in the office of president more than one year in any term of three years;

But this is irrelevant. Once again, the claim is implicit in the paragraph on the Urban Legend site. Why even mention the fact that the US was not a country unless it was to concede that he was its president?

how can anyone not know who wasin a wonderful life, donna reed, and ward bond!

BobG said:
That's because the similarity in the title's name (President of the United States in Congress Assembled) is a lot greater than the similarity in the position's role in government.
And the same goes for the name "United States of America".

Names aside, you can't consdier them the same government/country. Any question asking about the "United States of America" is at the very least implying that it is talking about the second incarnation.

One thing though, the Snopes article needs to fix the Capitalization of the Name, United states Of america in the article. It is misleading...

[edit: ehh, I should read entire threads befor posting. Already covered...]

Last edited:
Danger said:
Sure, but the question is what he is presiding over.

Danger said:
Not over Congress. The Vice President presides over the Senate and the Speaker presides over the House.

jimmysnyder said:
I do note that before the ratification of the Constitution, any entity that could be called the United States is not what is meant by that term today.
I feel forced to backtrack from this. Here is the last sentence of the Constitution of the United States of America. Emphasis mine.

Constitution said:
Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names

The "twelfth" doesn't make sense if they thought they were creating a new entity called the United States of America. Here is the preamble:

Constitution said:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

They weren't establishing a country, they were establishing a Constitution. Not of the United States, but for it. They were not forming a new union, but rather a more perfect one. They were already the people of the United States even without ratification. How many times I have read these words without realizing what they meant.

In view of this, I would say as with Hank Arron/Babe Ruth, the asterisk is in the wrong place. George Washington was the first President of the United States of America under the Constitution.

Last edited:
Stupid American
You scored 86% not an idiot!
You probably get your news from Regis, don't you? You wouldn't be impossible to have a conversation with, but there would definitely be a few hand-on-forehead moments.

My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 99% on Culturedness

who is mickey mantle ?
who played in "it's a wonderful life"

who wrote moby dick

i did not know those

marlon

BobG said:
Was that just a random guess? It seems strange that a European would know John Adams was a US president, but wouldn't recognize George Washington. I don't think many Americans would recognize a picture of John Adams.

Most people in Europe will recognize George Washington. The other guy,John Adams that is, i never heard of.

marlon

Danger said:
The president question sort of surprised me. The picture is obviously George Washington, but I thought that it was generally accepted that he was not the first president.
WHAT ?

George Washington is NOT the first US president ? I have always learned that he was.

marlon

marlon said:
who is mickey mantle ?
who played in "it's a wonderful life"

who wrote moby dick

i did not know those

marlon
Mickey Mantle was a famous baseball player (NY Yankees) well-known for his home-runs.

That movie starred Jimmy Stewart.

Moby Dick was written by Herman Melville. The book was based on the sinking of the whaling ship Essex. The real story was far more gruesome than the novel, involving starvation and cannibalism at sea. Google on "Owen Coffin" if you're interested. BTW, Mountain's song "Nantucket Sleighride" was dedicated to the memory of Owen Coffin.

jimmy stewaRT, DONNA REED, WARD BOND, JEEZ,...

HERMANN MELVILLE, ARE YOU KIDDING? SURELY NO ONE IS UNAWARE OF THAT! what about the author of pitcairns island, or mysteries of paris?

on the other hand I've never heard of "youtube".

mathwonk said:
HERMANN MELVILLE, ARE YOU KIDDING? SURELY NO ONE IS UNAWARE OF THAT!
Yeah, I thought that Moby Dick was a classic known worldwide. Like who doesn't know who wrote Les Miserables?

Evo said:
Yeah, I thought that Moby Dick was a classic known worldwide. Like who doesn't know who wrote Les Miserables?

Yes, it belongs to the class of "books that I ought to read, but have never found the time to do so".
That is, the same class of books that most people put Remembrance of Things Past, for example. :smile:

Evo said:

Moby Dick ? I first thought that was a detective but that's Dick Tracey no ? Ofcourse Les Misérables is very well known here.

greets
koopatrizzle

I've actually never read Moby Dick, but read enough about it that I know the story and the author. My mother gave me her copy of Les Miserables in French when I was 8, I muddled through part of it then decided to wait for the movie. :biggrin: I have not seen the Broadway play either.

Evo said:
My mother gave me her copy of Les Miserables in French when I was 8,

WOW !

BRAVO...

You understood that kind of French at the age of 8 ?

marlon

marlon said:
WOW !

BRAVO...

You understood that kind of French at the age of 8 ?

marlon
No, of course not. I could understand barely enough to get the gist. But I'm stubborn and really tried reading it, I just couldn't do it though. :grumpy:

Babar was more my speed. :biggrin:

Last edited:
marlon said:
Most people in Europe will recognize George Washington. The other guy,John Adams that is, i never heard of.

marlon

Here's some trivia regarding Adams: He was the first (P)resident of the White House.

Edit: I just saw this -

During Adams' second day in the house he wrote a letter to his wife Abigail, containing a prayer for the house. Adams wrote:

I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this House, and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof.

Looks like his prayers have gone unanswered. :rofl:

Last edited:
Evo said:
Babar was more my speed. :biggrin:
HA Babar, is that an elephant who was king ?
If so, i know that tv series

marlon

marlon said:
HA Babar, is that an elephant who was king ?
If so, i know that tv series

marlon
Oy, there was no tv show when I was little. Yes, he became king and married his cousin Celeste. :redface: http://www.babar.com/

Evo said:
Oy, there was no tv show when I was little. Yes, he became king and married his cousin Celeste. :redface: http://www.babar.com/

yep i know that guy.

When i was about 10 (16 years ago :shy: ) it was a very popular TV series.

marlon

i was foirtunate and grew up in the golden age of comic books. there was a sewries called classics comics, later classic illkustrated that published wonderful comic book versions of many great classics like moby dick and les miserables, count of monte cristo, etc, arabian nights...much later i actually read the "originals", in translation, and loved them even more. well i never made it thorugh all 13 volumes or so of richard burtons arabian nights, and besides a lot of it is offensive, but i read a lot.it is amazing how skillfully the classic comic of say monte cristo, covered in 64 pages the main events of almost the whole 1400 page book.

the moby dick comic was very entertaining too, and well and amusingly illustrated, whereas the book itself is tedious for many persons, although i happen to like reading the work of a brilliant writer and craftsman with words.

later the pedants pointed out that the comic books changed the original to make it more fun in many cases, and started a campaign to make the comics more faithful, ( probably so their moron children could use them as cliffs notes) but less violent.

of course they then became boring and justifiably went out of existence.

check out this original cover for jekyl and hyde.

http://www.classicscentral.com/cc13.htm

now that was a real comic book.

Last edited by a moderator:
mathwonk said:
it is amazing how skillfully the classic comic of say monte cristo, covered in 64 pages the main events of almost the whole 1400 page book.
I read that comic as a child and then read the book as an adult. Although there was a 35 year gap between the two readings, I could still see the images from the illustrated version when I read the book. Well, it has been called a children's book.