The Failur of the USSR

SOS2008
Gold Member
Informal Logic said:
However, just because I (or other members) criticize this current right-wing trend, or may even point to some legitimate conclusions made by Marx does not mean I am pro-communist. Right-wing people tend to see everything in an either-or way, always pointing to the evil USSR to defend their perspective (or should I say indoctrination).

To see current schools of thought you can to to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_trade, which indicates topics for more constructive discussion.
Exactly.

In looking briefly at that link, I see alternatives such as "fair" trade, and I have mentioned a couple of arguments against free trade such as national security, loss of intellectual property, etc. Quickly, I feel it fair to say that there are many right-wing folks who are against "porous" borders especially in view of terrorism, as well as religious folks who are against trade agreements such as NAFTA/CAFTA. It is odd that free trade is referred to as "liberal economics" but not odd that it is one of the current administration's mantras as Bush has been consistently pro big business.

Just me throwing out a thought:

One of the most interesting things I've always found about the relationship between the Soviet Union and the West was the Soviet Union's occasional need to fall back upon the rhetoric of aggressive communism. I suspect that they were doing it out of habit, or out of the need to appear strong, but sometimes it backfired. Khrushchev and his shoe at the UN is the most famous example, but the USSR's tendency to sometimes go out of their way to promote Communist revolutions in foreign countries, and their rhetoric about leading a world-wide worker's rebellion (which they stuck to for a time) seem to have worked against them. As a result, the West began to follow what they saw as Soviet techniques, rushing to intervene in the Third World before the "Communists" could.

I don't think that the Soviets ever really saw bringing the entire world under enlightened Soviet leadership as a viable goal. But on those time when they said so they seemed to be giving the rest of the world a reason to ally against them. Perhaps another reason why the eventually fell, they could not shake their bad image.