WWII: Remembering the Fallen of World War II

• Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
In summary, World War II was caused by the aggressive actions of Nazi Germany and Adolf Hitler, who sought to expand their power and dominate the world. Approximately 75 million people died during the war, including both civilians and military personnel. Some major events of the war include the invasion of Poland, the attack on Pearl Harbor, the D-Day invasion, and the dropping of atomic bombs. The main countries involved were the Allied powers and the Axis powers, but many others were also involved. The war ended with the unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany and Japan following their defeat by the Allied forces in various battles.
jobyts
The Fallen of World War II. Apparently we live in one of the most peaceful times in human history.

Likes Tosh5457 and Bandersnatch
Physics news on Phys.org
This is quite astounding. I remember learning about this years ago but the numbers are truly staggering.

Thanks for sharing.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it... George Santayana

Will we forget the horror of a world war again? Thanks for helping me remember. I hope those more powerful than I will remember.

What was the cause of World War II?

The main cause of World War II was the aggression of Nazi Germany and its leader, Adolf Hitler. Hitler's expansionist policies and desire for world domination led to the invasion of Poland in 1939, which sparked the war.

How many people died in World War II?

Estimates vary, but it is believed that around 75 million people died during World War II. This includes civilian casualties, as well as military deaths.

What were the major events of World War II?

Some of the major events of World War II include the invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany, the attack on Pearl Harbor by Japan, the D-Day invasion by Allied forces, and the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the United States.

Which countries were involved in World War II?

The main countries involved in World War II were the Allied powers, including the United States, United Kingdom, Soviet Union, and France, and the Axis powers, including Germany, Japan, and Italy. However, many other countries were also involved in the war in some capacity.

How did World War II end?

World War II ended with the unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany in May 1945 and the surrender of Japan in September 1945. This followed the defeat of Axis forces by the Allied powers in various battles and campaigns.