Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The field of circular helices

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    The following definitions are correct?

We associate to a circular helix a complex numbers called complex torsion defined as follows:

Definition: It's called complex torsion associated to a circular helix the complex number [tex]q=\tau+i\kappa[/tex] , where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the torsion of circular helix, [tex]\kappa[/tex] is its curvature, and [tex]i[/tex] is the imaginary unit.

Next, we define operations with circular helices, as follows:

Definition: It's called the sum of the circular helix [tex]E_1[/tex] of complex torsion [tex]\tau_1+i\kappa_1[/tex] with the circular helix [tex]E_2[/tex] of complex torsion [tex]\tau_2+i\kappa_2[/tex], and we note [tex]E=E_1+E_2[/tex], the circular helix [tex]E[/tex] of complex torsion [tex]q=q_1+q_2=\tau_1+\tau_2+i(\kappa_1+\kappa_2)[/tex] .

Definition: It's called the product of the circular helix [tex]E_1[/tex] of complex torsion [tex]\tau_1+i\kappa_1[/tex] with the circular helix [tex]E_2[/tex] of complex torsion [tex]\tau_2+i\kappa_2[/tex], and we note [tex]E=E_1\cdot E_2[/tex], the circular helix [tex]E[/tex] of complex torsion [tex]q=q_1\cdot q_2=\tau_1\tau_2-\kappa_1\kappa_2+i(\tau_1\kappa_2+\tau_2\kappa_1)[/tex].

With these definitions we have built the so-called field of circular helices. Thereby, we can add and multiply circular helix like we can operate as complex numbers, and such a construction can be useful by using complex analysis to study the movement of a mobile on a certain curve whose complex torsion depends on time.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2
    Is this a question?

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3
    Yes, I wanted to look like a question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook