The field of math being more competitive than the field of physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between math and physics majors, particularly in terms of their abilities in advanced-level classes and their competitiveness in getting into research programs. The participants also touch on the importance of interest and affinity in these fields and the value of combining mathematical and physical intuition. The conversation ends with a discussion about the competitiveness of math and physics REUs and the potential for applying to physics REUs instead.
Notice how few people in modern day get mentioned. And yet we have to keep in mind that the world population is larger than ever, and education's penetration only increases over time. It's possible in the early 1900s that the greatest minds didn't even get educated, but today that's far less likely to occur for obvious reasons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe what Ryker said is true, that maybe it's just a public misconception. I guess I'm just relying on personal experience, and feelings that I've always gotten from thinking about the field of math in general.

But if you're not Gauss or Euler by the time you're 14, you're never going to be.

@Ryker - I'm not sure what it is that you specifically object to, but I do think the trend is that mathematicians with exceptional talent are often recognized from a somewhat early age. It is true, however, that a lot of the pure research type mathematicians discover their true interests a little later on, once they gain sufficient maturity.

However, when it comes to the prodigies among the pure mathematicians, it's safe to say a lot of them display prodigious traits very early on.

@hadsed - when speaking of the exception, sometimes I think the best rule is to never generalize. It's almost useless, isn't it, to generalize who does and doesn't become the next Gauss? Because really, nearly nobody will be the next Gauss.

DrummingAtom said:
Something that I think is kinda fun to peak at are these sites:

http://www.mathematicsgre.com/ - click on "Applicant Profiles and Admission Results"

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewforum.php?f=3 - click on "Applicant Profiles and Admission Results"

At least these sites give a detailed profile of the stats that get accepted and rejected.

That's very helpful. Thanks.:smile:

deRham said:
@Ryker - I'm not sure what it is that you specifically object to, but I do think the trend is that mathematicians with exceptional talent are often recognized from a somewhat early age. It is true, however, that a lot of the pure research type mathematicians discover their true interests a little later on, once they gain sufficient maturity.

However, when it comes to the prodigies among the pure mathematicians, it's safe to say a lot of them display prodigious traits very early on.
Being a prodigy a hundred years ago or further is much different than being a prodigy in today's society. The only recognized "child prodigies" today are the ones who succeed in IMO, USAMO, and other such HS to pre-HS competitions, as well as high SAT scores in middle school.

I really doubt that many of history's greatest 'child prodigies' would have become renowned early-on if they were born today. Some have a natural affinity to problem-solving and competitions, but I feel like the majority of history's greatest often don't. Research and their works make them the greatest, and the only indicators of this in an early age nowadays is based on competitions and statistics.

And while mathematics was much more vague in the past, it was easier to switch around 'disciplines' and contribute to many different fields. But now since so much has already been found, it only gets harder and harder to discover or prove new things. It makes me wonder whether some of the great minds today could have been one of the greatest minds in history if they were born in the past, discovering what Gauss, Euler, Ramanujan, etc. discovered at a quicker pace. And vice-versa: would the greatest minds of the past be successful in today's society?