Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The final theory

1. Loop Quantum Gravity

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. M-Theory

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Jun 18, 2003 #1
    Which will gain the battle?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2003 #2
    Probably

one we don't even have a name for yet!

4. Jun 18, 2003 #3

drag

Science Advisor

Re: Probably

Greetings !

Limmited choices you got there meteor...:wink:

I doubt we'll call any theory "final", if at all, for any
    considrable amount of time. But, it's possible.
    I almost certainly think that such a theory would not,
    either way, actually offer any full solution and explanation.

Live long and prosper.

5. Jun 18, 2003 #4
    Neither of those can be on its own. It will be some fusion of the two.

6. Jun 20, 2003 #5
    M-theory, no theory is final it can be improved upon.

7. Jun 20, 2003 #6
    but to all you M-theory people...it treats spacetime as an independent background. It doesn't have the necessary dependent background changes that LQG has.

8. Jun 23, 2003 #7
    LONG LIVE M-THEORY!!!!

9. Jun 23, 2003 #8
    Expound please.

10. Jun 23, 2003 #9
    M theory still treats spacetime as a fixed background in which interactions play out. But GR tells us otherwise. We know that interactions are shaped in part by the curvature of spacetime, and that in turn also is shaped by the interactions. LQG treats spacetime as something that is developed from the very basics and in which various interactions shape and are altered by it. Lee Somolin (sp) book The Three Roads to Quantum Gravity does a much better job at explaining it than I could right now.

11. Jun 25, 2003 #10
    Actually, String Theory (and of course, M-Theory) is dependant on the idea that the curvature of space is the cause of all interactions. Indeed, the purpose of any hyperspacial theory (including M-Theory) is to explain all of the "forces" as curvatures of spacetime.

12. Jun 25, 2003 #11
    Right, I agree. It is the effect of spacetime. But notice that the spacetime is already there in M-theory. Hence it is a fixed background. LQG essentially 'creates' spacetime in its framework.

13. Jun 27, 2003 #12
    I vote against both - each can only relate to a fraction of observations. Tweaking them to death is the exact problem we already have with the standard model. The Final Theory should be able to relate to all observations without all that darn tweaking. Essentially, I say there are multiple unknown branches of science yet to be explored, without which there can be no suitable attempt at a final theory, let alone success with one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?