Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The first galaxies

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1
    How old was the universe after the big bang when galaxies started forming?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Well, we've seen galaxies out to about z=7, but yes, somewhere around 750 million years.

5. Mar 28, 2009 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is safe to say none originated before 400 million years after the big bang. No reason to rule out any afterwards.

6. Mar 30, 2009 #5
    Is there any problem with the observation of mature, well-formed galaxies at higher redshift than previously expected?

7. Mar 30, 2009 #6

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

I'm not so sure that this is the case. The exact formation of the early galaxies has always been uncertain, just because the observations haven't been there.

8. Mar 30, 2009 #7
  9. Mar 30, 2009 #8

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

You should take all science-related news items with a huge grain of salt. They're often wildly distorted, sometimes just flat wrong.

So far as I know, everybody basically expects a hierarchical formation of galaxies, where galaxies in the densest regions formed first, and galaxies in less dense regions formed later. I don't think there's been anything yet produced that challenges this view, though there are many details that remain to be understood.

10. Mar 30, 2009 #9
    Well, these are not news, but a scientific article appeared in Nature:
    Cimatti, A. et al., Nature 430 (2004) 184-187.

11. Mar 30, 2009 #10

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Okay.
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v430/n6996/full/nature02668.html

Key point:
    A good rule of thumb when it comes to stuff like this is that simulations not backed by observation are often wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Mar 30, 2009 #11
    The nature paper is an observational report, contrarily to what you seem to suggest...

13. Mar 30, 2009 #12

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

That wasn't my point. My point was that I rather doubt that most physicists were actually surprised by the news that the simulations were entirely accurate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook