Solving First Principles: Evaluating ƒ'(3)

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
In summary: Please recheck what you get for this:f'(x) = \frac{\sqrt{(x+h)} - \sqrt{x+1}}{h}Remember you need to substitute x+h for x.You mean like:\frac{(x+h) - \sqrt{x+1}}{h}\frac{(3+h) - \sqrt{3+1}}{h}3 - 2 , → = 1 But is the rest of my above working correct? Did I show everything that was needed?What would be the right solution to my question? :rolleyes:No that's
roam
[SOLVED] The First Principles

Hello!
This is my question:

1) Write down the definition of ƒ'(3), where [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x + 1}[/tex]

2) Use the definition to evaluate ƒ'(3).

This isn't an exercise from a book etc.. so I don't know what's the correct solution to this question but here's my attempt:

By the first principles( [tex]f'(x) = lim h\rightarrow0 \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/tex] ):
∴ [tex]\frac{\sqrt{(x+h)} - \sqrt{x+1}}{h}[/tex]

So would the definition of ƒ'(3) be like this:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3+h} - \sqrt{3+1}}{h}[/tex]

Simplifying gives:
[tex]= 1[/tex]

But another time I didn't use the first principles:

[tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x + 1}[/tex]

[tex]1/2(x+1)^-1/2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{1/2.\sqrt{x+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{1/2.\sqrt{3+1}} = 1[/tex]

(?) - "?"

I got the same answer using both methods (=1). Am I on the right track? What else do I need to show?

Thank you. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please recheck what you get for this:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{\sqrt{(x+h)} - \sqrt{x+1}}{h}[/tex]

Remember you need to substitute x+h for x.

You mean like:
[tex]\frac{(x+h) - \sqrt{x+1}}{h}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(3+h) - \sqrt{3+1}}{h}[/tex]

[tex]3 - 2[/tex] , → [tex] = 1[/tex]

But is the rest of my above working correct? Did I show everything that was needed?
What would be the right solution to my question? :rolleyes:

No that's not what he meant :( Recheck your working, if f(x) = sqrt( x+1), what is f(x+h) ? Its not sqrt(x+h).

roam said:
Hello!
This is my question:

1) Write down the definition of ƒ'(3), where [tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x + 1}[/tex]

2) Use the definition to evaluate ƒ'(3).

This isn't an exercise from a book etc.. so I don't know what's the correct solution to this question but here's my attempt:

By the first principles( [tex]f'(x) = lim h\rightarrow0 \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/tex] ):
∴ [tex]\frac{\sqrt{(x+h)} - \sqrt{x+1}}{h}[/tex]

So would the definition of ƒ'(3) be like this:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{\sqrt{3+h} - \sqrt{3+1}}{h}[/tex]

No, for two reasons (1) you forgot the "+1" in the first term and (2) you forgot the limit !
[tex]f'(x)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sqrt{3+h+1}-\sqrt{3+1}}{h}[/tex]

Simplifying gives:
[tex]= 1[/tex]
No, it does not! Even forgetting the "+1" [itex]\sqrt{3+h}- \sqrt{3+1}[/itex] is NOT equal to h and so the fraction is not equal to 1!

But another time I didn't use the first principles:

[tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x + 1}[/tex]

[tex]1/2(x+1)^-1/2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{1/2.\sqrt{x+1}}[/tex]
No,
[tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{1/2.\sqrt{3+1}} = 1[/tex]

(?) - "?"
[tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3+1}}= \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

I got the same answer using both methods (=1). Am I on the right track? What else do I need to show?

Thank you. :smile:

1. What are first principles?

First principles refer to the fundamental concepts or basic components from which a complex system or problem can be understood or built upon. In mathematics, first principles involve breaking down a problem or function into its most basic elements in order to solve it.

2. How do you evaluate ƒ'(3) using first principles?

To evaluate ƒ'(3) using first principles, you need to take the limit of the difference quotient as x approaches 3. This means finding the slope of the tangent line at x=3 by taking smaller and smaller intervals around 3 and calculating the slope of the secant line between those points. As the interval gets smaller, the slope of the secant line approaches the slope of the tangent line, which is equivalent to ƒ'(3).

3. Why is it important to use first principles in solving problems?

Using first principles allows us to understand problems from the ground up and build a solid foundation for solving them. It also helps us to develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving strategies that can be applied to a variety of situations.

4. Can first principles be applied to any problem or function?

Yes, first principles can be applied to any problem or function in mathematics. It is a universal approach that can be used to solve a wide range of problems, from simple to complex.

5. Are there any limitations to using first principles?

While first principles can be a powerful tool for problem-solving, it can also be time-consuming and may not always give the most efficient solution. In some cases, it may be more practical to use other methods or techniques to solve a problem. Additionally, first principles may not be applicable to certain types of functions, such as those that are discontinuous or have undefined values.