What is Energy? Join the Flame Challenge 2017 and Explain it to 11 Year Olds!

In summary, Alan Alda started a competition in which scientists are asked to explain by whatever means a designated phenomenon or concept to 11 year olds. The explanations are judged by students whose schools are participating in the competition worldwide some 26,000 students so far. This challenge was first introduced to PF in 2012 but has not been followed since.
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
In 2012 actor Alan Alda started a competition in which scientists are asked to explain by whatever means a designated phenomenon or concept to 11 year olds. The explanations are judged by students whose schools are participating in the competition worldwide some 26,000 students so far. This challenge was first introduced to PF in 2012 but has not been followed since.

The challenges so far have been What is:

A Flame, 2012
Time, 2013
Color, 2014
Sleep, 2015
Sound,2016

This year the challenge is Da Da "What is Energy?"

Apparently Mr. Alda remembering an unsatisfactory explanation to his question as an eleven year old student, What is a flame? spurred him to initiate this program. His interest in science and its impact on our lives is exemplified in his Center for Communicating Science

In a interview in Australia during its National Science Week he talked about his interest in science and the necessity of explaining it effectively to the general public.

I'm sure that there is sufficient talent in the Physics Forum to give it a shot.

Likes Sophia, cnh1995 and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
It will be hard to beat Feynman: http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_04.html
(there is video of that somewhere)
I like that he related it to "economics", in his one lecture:

Not sure where we came up with that idea. :oldeyes:

I think I later decided that energy was more like "color".

KE is red
PE is blue
ME is the both of them
All together, with some others, they make a hodgepodge
And this is why I kept my day job​

What is "The Flame Challenge 2017"?

"The Flame Challenge 2017" is a yearly contest created by actor Alan Alda to encourage scientists to communicate complex scientific concepts in a way that is clear and engaging for an 11-year-old child.

Who can participate in "The Flame Challenge 2017"?

Any scientist, researcher, or science communicator is welcome to participate in "The Flame Challenge 2017". There are no restrictions on age, nationality, or field of study.

What is the goal of "The Flame Challenge 2017"?

The goal of "The Flame Challenge 2017" is to improve science communication by challenging scientists to explain a complex scientific concept in a way that is easily understandable and interesting for an 11-year-old child.

How is "The Flame Challenge 2017" judged?

The entries for "The Flame Challenge 2017" are judged by a panel of 11-year-old children from around the world. They evaluate the entries based on clarity, accuracy, and engagement.

What is the prize for winning "The Flame Challenge 2017"?

The winner of "The Flame Challenge 2017" will have their explanation featured in a video created by Alan Alda and shared with thousands of students and teachers around the world. They will also receive a cash prize and a trip to New York City to meet Alan Alda and present their explanation at the World Science Festival.