1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Flea

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] The Flea

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A flea, jumping with its highest possible initial speed, can jump to a maximum vertical height of 1 cm. What is
    the time spent in the air by the flea during the vertical jump? What would be the time spent in the air if the flea
    were instead to leave the ground at an angle of 45° to the horizontal? What is the maximum horizontal distance
    it can jump? Answer: 0.09 s, 0.063 s, 0.0196 m

2. Relevant equations
    d=V2t-(1/2)at

3. The attempt at a solution

a)d=0.01m, a=g, v2=0
    d=V2t-(1/2)at
    0.01=-4.9t^2
    t=0.045s *2
    t=0.09s
    b) tried finding initial velocity from part 1

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2008 #2
    The initial velocity of the fly v2 is not zero. you made a lot of errors and still managed to get the right answer for the first part.
    To solve the rest of the problem you should first have calculated the time to the top of the jump from v = v2 - at at the top of the jump v = 0. then you can get the initial velocity from d = (v_2)t - at^2

4. Feb 22, 2008 #3
    thanks i get it now

5. Feb 22, 2008 #4
    u got it solved....!!!!!???
    i need help still cant figure it out i only get .019780 ... or something like that (just replace the 6 in the package with a 7) and for the other part i get .057 or something like that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?