Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
My preferred veggie burger from Impossible Foods can be quite expensive, ~$3.00 to 4.00 USD per burger. Kroger stores currently offer a special 10-pack of Beyond burgers for $10.00 USD, or $1 per burger. So, I have reconsidered my previous post.

The Beyond burgers are significantly thicker and 'meatier' than the Impossible product. I altered the cooking regime to allow for the greater thickness, extracting more oils during the process. The extended broiling with slightly increased garlic oil produced a tasty burger without the annoying 'chewy bits'. Given the larger size and lower price advantages, I now like Beyond as much as Impossible.

N.B.: Broiling/baking Beyond burgers produces a strong slightly unpleasant odor during cooking that does not affect the final taste. So, I cook them slowly and ventilate thoroughly. Bon appétit.

Physics news on Phys.org
A well-made simple pot of green lentils is as good as it gets. I start with a mirepoix and add garlic a can of tomatoes, a sweet potato and a white potato, some raisons and the lentils. Spice generously with thyme and curry powder. Cook 45 min. Finish with a splash of vinegar and hit it lightly with a stick blender. Spectacular over Bismati rice. It will turn you vegetarian. Personally I am not a fan of the meatless meat but I am not completely vegetarian.

hutchphd said:
... I start with a mirepoix and add garlic ...{snip}
The basis for so many great recipes. I think Julia Child remarked to Jacques Pepin that nearly any (edible meat or veg) cooked with garlic in mirepois should taste good.

One of my favorite mirepois: diced carrot, celery, brown onion, and jalapeno peppers sauteed with garlic.
Add tomatoes to prepare pasta sauce or chile.
Add potatoes, shallots and leeks for various soups.
Mix into legumes (dhal) including lentils, chickpeas, pintos, peas or any tasty bean.
Cook with almost any meat or fish, as Julia remarked.

Yes, I grew up eating meat but now eat mostly vegetarian and vegan for health and ecological concerns. I like cooking veggie burgers when too tired to prepare a fresh vegetarian meal.

Is it just me or does most store bought meat lack flavor?

Klystron said:
Is it just me or does most store bought meat lack flavor?
I eat very little meat anymore. I don't know whether it has changed or I have. I do still eat and crave cheese.
Incidentally the lentil recipe is particularly good because of the traditional French beginnings (with lotsa Thyme) combined with the curry/ sweet raisons and the vinegar finish. A cut above.
I am also very fond of (African inspired) vegetarian ground nut stews with sweet potato peanut and garlic and chili.

Been dabbling w/ Indian cooking and fwiw it seems ginger is always used in about equal parts w garlic (Indian stores sell ginger-garlic paste which works well enough)

a good S Indian base for curries is
Ginger, garlic, onion, curry leaves, green chiles (Serrano or jalapeño w/o seeds and placenta), tomato w/ either virgin(not toasted) sesame oil or coconut oil

my favorite on top of that is chettinadu mix of star anise, cinnamon (Ceylon), cloves, green cardamom seeds and dried red chilies

Likes pinball1970, Astronuc and Klystron
BWV said:
Been dabbling w/ Indian cooking and fwiw it seems ginger is always used in about equal parts w garlic (Indian stores sell ginger-garlic paste which works well enough)
{snip}
My son, who essentially grew up in one of his mother's Thai-themed restaurants, created a derisive term for premixed packaged components "gang in a box"; 'gang' sounds like the Thai word for curry.

The difference between fresh prepared ingredients and processed-packaged is like the difference between someone describing a song by Iron Butterfly and experiencing a live performance of "Inna Gadda da Vida" with dueling drummers.

As a simple saucier, the nuances of fresh curry escape my abilities to prepare but not to enjoy. My late wife would often spend an entire day preparing fresh ingredients purchased in early morning 'chef hours', bending the recipes gleaned from coded cookbooks passed down through her Chinese father to fit locally available items and the tastes of those she fed; always hiding at least one ingredient or method from prying eyes lest her secrets escape.

Likes Astronuc and BWV
Likes Klystron
Astronuc said:
On a somewhat different, but related topic, I'm trying to figure out the seasoning used for fragrant rice. I'm thinking cardamom, or perhaps tamarind.
I tend to prefer naturally fragrant rice such as Indian basmati and Thai jasmine rice as foundation and mitigation of often fiery sauces. I usually reserve tamarind and fruit peels for sauces.

Cardamom and anise work well in steamed rice as they do in baking. Clove works best IMO. Merely drop 1-2 whole cloves per cup of dry rice. Keep count and retrieve the hard cloves before serving the rice. Many other hard spices and seeds also work this way, most noticeably cinnamon bark.

My favorite rice spice has to be saffron derived from crocus buds. If one is lucky and wealthy enough to cook rice with actual saffron, I advise not using any other ingredients aside from a few raw cashews or a single clove in order to savor the magnificent aroma and color. Saffron from California crocus buds remains a less expensive alternative with excellent gold-red color but less flavor and aroma.

For day-to-day nothing-special basmati rice I use a rice cooker with 2-1 filtered water to washed rice. Add ~1/4 teaspoon tumeric powder per cup of rice for color, flavor, preservation and health. Add 2 whole cloves per cup if desired plus your preferred hard spices. Keep count and retrieve hard bits before serving.

Fancy rice pilaf: soak, wash and drain several cups of fine rice. Melt clarified butter (ghee) in large frying pan on medium-low flame. Substitute olive oil for vegan. Sautee preferred spices. Add ~1 cup chopped onion to each 2 cups drained rice. Lightly brown/wilt onions. Add rice slowly. Sautee over medium heat while constantly turning mixture.

When sufficiently mixed slowly add warm clarified chicken broth or stock (vegetable stock for vegan) to rice ~2 to 1 broth-rice. For pilaf bring to mild boil, tightly cover and reduce heat to minimum. Steam ~~15 minutes for al dente.

For risotto do not cover, keep stirring over low-medium heat adding broth/stock/water to desired consistency al dente. Use a wooden paddle to stir risotto. Add chopped fresh herbs in final minutes such as basil, parsley, saffron (!), spinach leaves, etc. and optional sauteed garlic and mushrooms.

For soup continue as for risotto but continue adding hot broth/stock plus other soup ingredients such as mushrooms, diced vegetables and (non vegan) chicken, fish or shrimp. Do not overcook!

Leftover steamed rice, pilaf and risotto make great fried rice. Lightly sautee with maripois and bingo!

See also Saffron trade - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc
I was listening to an interview with Eric Ripert this morning. He has written a new recipe book, which contains rather simple recipes. Anyway, I thought I'd look into him and found the following.

"It is not possible to be angry and happy and the same time, and happiness is never born from anger." Eric Ripert

I loved Anthony Bourdain's show, "Parts Unknown", and I was impressed by his friendship with Eric Ripert. The show was not just about food, but the experiences with different cultures and sharing it with others.

José Andrés was another good friend.

Lessons from Anthony Bourdain

"Be curious, humble, generous, . . . . " Eric Ripert about Bourdain.

"Never be passive when you see injustice . . . " José Andrés

Likes BillTre and hutchphd

Likes OmCheeto
I have a little bit of Texas BBQ in the Oregon backyard.
IMG_20190824_184228149.jpgIMG_20190912_150136115.jpgPXL_20210415_204033801.jpgPXL_20220526_192148196.jpg
PXL_20210415_203933625.jpghttps://www.recteq.com/
PXL_20220630_233300600.jpgPXL_20220807_000249797.jpg
Meat prices are crazy.

Likes BWV
I'm craving loaded nachos. Too bad I dislike Taco Bell's nacho offerings.

I wish fast food places had better nachos.

Need to go to a sports bar type place to get good stuff usually.