Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
Evo said:
I saw the Evol food that you bought at the store today. I should tip off the store manager.
Just give the manager a link Zz's post. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Scored

This was last year.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4369391&postcount=4890

This is this year.

RJLQM9h.jpg

I just came home from the hunt at a newly discovered location. Now to the shower to remove the unwanted parasites.

Whoah!

Evo said:
Whoah!

My reaction, too!

lisab said:
My reaction, too!

My friends and I were at the river a couple of weekends ago. After we were there about an hour, someone, out of nowhere, walked by with a gallon sized zip bag, smiling. It was full of Morels.

Everyone jumped out of their chairs.

We found half a dozen in 5 minutes.

:smile:

dlgoff said:
...I just came home from the hunt at a newly discovered location.

I think I was lucky to find all these morels in this location when I did. Because when I went back today, deer had invaded. Most of the ones I found were under brush and other places that were hard for the deer to get too.

Here's yesterday's find after they've been cleaned (in pot) and today's find (on pizza pan).

RjDuRCQ.jpg

dlgoff said:
I think I was lucky to find all these morels in this location when I did. Because when I went back today, deer had invaded. Most of the ones I found were under brush and other places that were hard for the deer to get too.

Here's yesterday's find after they've been cleaned (in pot) and today's find (on pizza pan).

RjDuRCQ.jpg

Though it was I who found all the Morels, I never got to taste one, nor have I ever tasted one. I hate this thread. :grumpy:

Monique said:
Made chili cheese nuggets today (for the first time), yummmm! Tasted like they came from the Burger King, only they were a bit floury.. need to improve the recipe.. I think it will become a staple, love that cheesy chilliness.

Current recipe:
Mix grated cheese, green chills, corn starch, coriander leaves, salt, drizzle of water
Roll balls, cover in egg, flour, egg, crumbs
Fry

Also had some great choy sum with garlic and Shao Hsing wine and sticky rice. Accompanying that some Korean spicy tofu with dipping sauce. Recipe of the tofu from this lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgI3A8SmKQ&list=FLc5oO_tUVkd4odiSHpM6ZXw&index=2 (love her :!))

I'm currently steaming my very first attempt at making sticky rice.

I decided, after the first hour of steaming, that I should have googled how to do it.

And after 3 hours, Helen Reddy's song comes to mind:

I am man, I don't really know that much about cooking, I am fallible, I am maaaaannnnnnnn...

Perhaps if I take it out now, and soak it for a bit... :confused:

Oh what the hell. Isn't this why god invented pizza delivery?

OmCheeto said:
I'm currently steaming my very first attempt at making sticky rice.
[..]
Perhaps if I take it out now, and soak it for a bit... :confused:
:rofl: it helps to thoroughly soak the rice before you steam it.

The first few times I steamed the sticky rice, now I just boil it: put rice in a pan with just enough water to cover it. Bring it to a boil with a lid on the pan, stir once, turn off heat once the boil has been reached and let the rice continue to cook in its steam. Works well and is a lot easier than traditional steaming, where you have to turn the rice to homogeneously cook it.

http://images2.persianblog.ir/506348_yLNk4zTp.jpg

Monique said:
:rofl: it helps to thoroughly soak the rice before you steam it.

The first few times I steamed the sticky rice, now I just boil it: put rice in a pan with just enough water to cover it. Bring it to a boil with a lid on the pan, stir once, turn off heat once the boil has been reached and let the rice continue to cook in its steam. Works well and is a lot easier than traditional steaming, where you have to turn the rice to homogeneously cook it.

Yes. I actually figured most of this out yesterday. After about an hour of steaming the rice in the middle was bone dry. That's when I started googling.

I used to make fabulous rice with your boiling method, but I seem to have lost the touch. It now comes out as either a homogeneous rice flavored brick, or is under-cooked and crunchy.

I bought a 20 lb bag of rice a few weeks ago, so I've plenty of material for experimenting with.

Lisa! said:
http://images2.persianblog.ir/506348_yLNk4zTp.jpg

Pineapple upside down rice?

I can't see lisa's pic :/

drizzle said:

I couldn't at first either.
Do a Quote, then a Preview Post.
It might be a bug.
Now I see her image without having to do the the quote/preview thing.
Strange.
Perhaps I'll ask what's going in the feedback section.

drizzle said:
Refeshing the page worked for me.

I have a recipe for rice cake, it's a skill to get such a golden brown crust. What are those rounds?

Monique said:
Refeshing the page worked for me.

I have a recipe for rice cake, it's a skill to get such a golden brown crust. What are those rounds?

From the shape, size, and lack of hole in the middle, I'm going to guess that those are not pineapple, but tomato slices.

Just a guess of course.

ps. I'm soaking my rice at the moment. :smile:

Those rounds are potato slices!
The color is mainly because of saffron. That also makes the taste better!:wink:

Rice with potatoes, I could never serve that to my boyfriend..

Lisa can you upload that picture as an attachment? Or to a free image hosting service? I'd like to see.

Edit: WHOA, they just appeared!.

Potatoes and rice? Well, I do make stew that has potatoes and serve it over rice. The little white things look like maggots. :eek:

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Those rounds are potato slices!
The color is mainly because of saffron. That also makes the taste better!:wink:

Saffron! :bugeye:

I've never tasted saffron.

I have crocuses in my yard, but they bloom in the fall, so I'm afraid to taste them.

Colchicum plants ... are deadly poisonous due to their colchicine content. The symptoms of colchicine poisoning resemble those of arsenic, and no antidote is known.

I believe it was my aunt that pointed this out to me.

Don't lick these flowers... Sie sind Herbst Crocus

Ok. I kind of made that up. She couldn't speak English, and she didn't tell me not to lick the flowers. But she did say "Herbst Crocus", and I'm sure "Death" was thrown in there somewhere.

Colchicine, I've used that in the lab. However, I don't think autumn crocuses have the poison. It's a plant that looks like an autumn crocus, but it's good practice to avoid them all together to avoid mistake :smile:

Monique said:
Colchicine, I've used that in the lab. However, I don't think autumn crocuses have the poison. It's a plant that looks like an autumn crocus, but it's good practice to avoid them all together to avoid mistake :smile:

You are right that Colchicum is a completely different species that just happens to look like an autumn-flowering crocus, but all the Crocus species grown for flowers (both spring and autumn flowering) are poisonous, though not as toxic as Colchicum.

Saffron is a different species again (Crocus sativa) and you are very unlikely to have any plants of it by chance. It only exists as a cultivated plant and its seeds are sterile, so it can only be propagated vegetatively.

Personally I don't find saffron tastes of anything much, but it certainly looks pretty as a food coloring.

AlephZero said:
Personally I don't find saffron tastes of anything much, but it certainly looks pretty as a food coloring.
Are you sure you've had real saffron, because there are many fakes on the market. If you used fake saffron, yes, if gives off a lot of color, real saffron does not.

Saffron has a very strong flavor and just a pinch of it can completely over power a dish.

Here is the difference between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
How unfortunately, no saffron in the back garden :smile: I also find that saffron is tasteless. Maybe I've just not added enough of it. Quite contrary to curcuma, its taste can be overpowering.

Evo: how can saffron be fake? You mean the stems, or are fakes powdered? I've only seen/used stems.

A lot of the so-called "saffron" dishes, such as saffron rice, etc., used turmeric powder instead of saffron for the yellow color. Turmeric doesn't add much flavor when used sparingly, such as for coloring. Saffron, on the other hand, should impart a flavor, or should I say, an aroma, even when used sparingly, which is how it is often used anyway since it costs an arm and a leg.

Zz.

Correct Zz. Monique, I posted a video showing fake saffron stigmas in the post above yours. At my store, due to theft, the saffron is kept in a locked cabinet, you now have to get the store manager to get it for you.

I buy my saffron at Indian grocery stores. I figure that, considering their clientele, they wouldn't dare to sell fake saffron, and certainly won't get their customers if they do.

But is this the case of real cinnamon versus cassia bark? I.e. maybe it is not really fake, but it has just been accepted as being a "cheaper", easier-to-obtain version of "saffron". Not to change the subject, but I find it rather odd that most people, at least here in the US, no longer know, or even consider, real cinnamon as cinnamon. Somehow, the "fake" as become the real.

Zz.

Evo said:
Here is the difference between the two.

My saffron must be real then, I remember being frustrated about the little amount of coloration coming out of the stigmas, even when allowing to steep for 10 min in hot water.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
I buy my saffron at Indian grocery stores. I figure that, considering their clientele, they wouldn't dare to sell fake saffron, and certainly won't get their customers if they do.

But is this the case of real cinnamon versus cassia bark? I.e. maybe it is not really fake, but it has just been accepted as being a "cheaper", easier-to-obtain version of "saffron". Not to change the subject, but I find it rather odd that most people, at least here in the US, no longer know, or even consider, real cinnamon as cinnamon. Somehow, the "fake" as become the real.

Zz.
I had forgotten about the cinammon issue.

I also recently was watching a tv show about "cheap' brands of spices where the spice has been "cut' with things like sawdust.

You get what you pay for.

ZapperZ said:
... Saffron, on the other hand, should impart a flavor, or should I say, an aroma...

Monique said:
... I also find that saffron is tasteless. ...

Evo said:
Saffron has a very strong flavor and just a pinch of it can completely over power a dish.

AlephZero said:

wiki said:
Saffron's aroma is often described by connoisseurs as reminiscent of metallic honey with grassy or hay-like notes, while its taste has also been noted as hay-like and sweet.

hmmm... :confused:

Perhaps it all depends on whether it's allergy season or not. I haven't smelled anything in weeks.

But I will endeavor to find this Saffron spice, that you speak of.

The taste reminds me of paregoric.

Here is a good description

Taste and Aroma
Description Saffron has a spicy, pungent, and bitter flavor with a sharp and penetrating odor.

http://www.spiceadvice.com/encyclopedia/Saffron.html

Evo said:
The taste reminds me of paregoric.
What the heck is that? google google google
wiki said:
The principal active ingredient in Paregoric is powdered opium.
:bugeye:
Ummm... I can honestly say I've never tasted opium before, and googling yields a lot of druggies who can't seem to agree on anything.

Maybe it's another ingredient:

In the United States the formula for Paregoric, U.S.P. is tincture of
opium 40 ml
anise oil 4 ml
benzoic acid 4 g
camphor 4 g
glycerin 40 ml
alcohol 450 ml
purified water 450 ml
diluted alcohol to 1000 ml

Good grief. I'm not quite sure what that would taste like, but it appears the ingredients would make it so I didn't care. :tongue:

Here is a good description
Taste and Aroma
Description Saffron has a spicy, pungent, and bitter flavor with a sharp and penetrating odor.
Sounds complex. I like that.
http://www.spiceadvice.com/encyclopedia/Saffron.html

Not sure if I trust that site.

Geographical Sources
Saffron is native to the Mediterranean. Today it is cultivated primarily in Spain.

wiki said:
Iran is by far the world's most important producer: in 2005 it grossed ... 93.7 percent of the year's global total mass...

Unless, by cultivate, they mean producing better/different strains.

$2,000 to $10,000 a pound! Evo, you rich girl. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Saffron is one of my favorite spices since I love paella.

Here is a good short read on it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/01/spice-hunting-saffron-how-to-use-guide.html

Ahhh!

That, I can read, with great appreciation. :smile:

A virtual; Nom nom nom nom nom....

wiki said:
Valencian paella
This recipe is standardized because Valencians consider it traditional and very much part of their culture. Rice in Valencian paella is never braised in oil, as pilaf, though the paella made further southwest of Valencia often is.

Heat oil in a paellera.
Sauté meat after seasoning with salt.
Add green vegetables and sauté until soft.
Add garlic (optional), grated tomatoes, beans and sauté.
Add paprika and sauté.
Add water, saffron (and/or food coloring), snails and rosemary.
Boil to make broth and allow it to reduce by half.
Add rice and simmer until rice is cooked.
Garnish with more fresh rosemary.

Though all I see is, "Jaba the Om", in my future epitaph...

:cry:

OmCheeto said:
Though it was I who found all the Morels, I never got to taste one, nor have I ever tasted one. I hate this thread. :grumpy:
I should report that a few friends and myself have managed to eat most of the shrooms. :approve: