The Food Thread

I often make butter, just put heavy cream in a jar and shake.

danago

Gold Member
I also like making butter at home, although I normally do it with an electric beater followed by washing and straining through cheese cloth. I would also love to be able to make my own bread (give me nice fresh bread and slightly salted butter and I am in heaven), which I have done numerous times, however I always end up going back to the bakery, partly because I don't have the time to keep up with my demand for bread, but mostly because I can never do it as well as the professional bakers.

Evo

Mentor
I often make butter, just put heavy cream in a jar and shake.
I love homemade butter, it is so much better than what you buy, and so easy to make. I had an antique mini butter churn that had belonged to my grandmother and it was accidentally thrown out along with an entire box full of antiques during a move.

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I find anything involving emulsions fascinating.

I made borsch soup yesterday, good ol' russian meal, a bowl of borsch and a piroshki.

danago

Gold Member
Lunch today: "Pizza e mortadella" from Il Fornaio in Rome. It was seriously simple yet seriously good, which is why there was a line going out the door and the inside was absolute chaos with no sense of order at all. I went in expecting to buy a slice of pizza, but saw everybody ordering this, so I asked one of the locals what it was called. I must say, great last minute change of decision :smile:

https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1488011_379553392188713_1435596976_n.jpg

^
Yum.

danago

Gold Member
So so yum!

On a side note, although somewhat unrelated to food but perhaps of interest to people on this forum, I also visited the Archimedes exhibition in Rome today, at i Musei Capitolini. It wasn't a big exhibition, but featured a few pieces about his life in Siracusa, followed by an exhibition demonstrating some of his famous inventions and major scientific contributions, such as the lever, parabolic mirrors to burn ships with sunlight, the Archimedes Screw and some of his works in mathematics. It was a refreshing change from the usual visits to art museums, however there were too many school kids running around playing with the gadgets :grumpy:

For the purpose of making this post related to the thread: I had some great stracciatella ice cream after my visit to the museum.

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was experimenting last night and came up with General Tso's potatoes. It turned out really good. I'll definitely have to make that again.

Evo

Mentor
I was experimenting last night and came up with General Tso's potatoes. It turned out really good. I'll definitely have to make that again.
I recently found a great frozen General Tso's chicken, what is your recipe for the potatoes?

Evo

Mentor
So so yum!

On a side note, although somewhat unrelated to food but perhaps of interest to people on this forum, I also visited the Archimedes exhibition in Rome today, at i Musei Capitolini. It wasn't a big exhibition, but featured a few pieces about his life in Siracusa, followed by an exhibition demonstrating some of his famous inventions and major scientific contributions, such as the lever, parabolic mirrors to burn ships with sunlight, the Archimedes Screw and some of his works in mathematics. It was a refreshing change from the usual visits to art museums, however there were too many school kids running around playing with the gadgets :grumpy:

For the purpose of making this post related to the thread: I had some great stracciatella ice cream after my visit to the museum.
danago, I absolutely love your posts!!

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Lunch today: "Pizza e mortadella" from Il Fornaio in Rome. It was seriously simple yet seriously good, which is why there was a line going out the door and the inside was absolute chaos with no sense of order at all. I went in expecting to buy a slice of pizza, but saw everybody ordering this, so I asked one of the locals what it was called. I must say, great last minute change of decision :smile:

https://scontent-b-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1488011_379553392188713_1435596976_n.jpg
Hmm... That looks like a bologna sandwich.

google google google

Focaccia croccante con mortadella e stracchino = "Crispy focaccia with mortadella and soft cheese" per google translate

I know what "focaccia" is, but what is "mortadella"?

google google google

MORTADELLA
Known as the “Italian Bologna”
It is a bologna sandwich.

Though it looks infinitely tastier than the bologna sandwiches I'm familiar with.

Thanks!

Doesn't look that tasty in the picture - looks too dry.

Borg

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I recently found a great frozen General Tso's chicken, what is your recipe for the potatoes?
I diced and fried two large potatoes. When it was nearly done, I added about a 1/8 cup of General Tso sauce and 1/8 cup of barbeque sauce. Pretty simple really.

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Doesn't look that tasty in the picture - looks too dry.
I thought the same, until I looked at the pictures in the link I provided.

If I could read Italian, I'd probably be making it right now.

Odd that Evo is listed as an ingredient: 10 grams Olio Evo
:tongue:

Borek

Mentor
Todays dinner - đuveč, just purely vegetarian version. Perfect!

danago

Gold Member
I thought the same, until I looked at the pictures in the link I provided.

If I could read Italian, I'd probably be making it right now.

Odd that Evo is listed as an ingredient: 10 grams Olio Evo
:tongue:
Happy to translate it if you'd like :smile:

OmCheeto

Gold Member

OmCheeto

Gold Member
Todays dinner - đuveč, just purely vegetarian version. Perfect!
Thank god, it comes in a can. :smile:

http://www.podravka.com/repository/images/_variations/1/4/1441524c6c4ddb9a916fea3bc3979563_content_medium_noaspect.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor
mortadella looks more like this, it has a lot of fat.

mortadella_slice_b.JPG

OmCheeto

Gold Member
mortadella looks more like this, it has a lot of fat.

mortadella_slice_b.JPG
My mother used to buy some "bologna" looking stuff from the local butcher shop. It took me almost 3 minutes of googling to figure out what it was called: Leberkäse!

It has neither liver(leber), nor cheese(käse) as ingredients, but does include corned beef, pork, onions, and, wait for it... Bacon!

It's been at least 20 years since I've eaten it.

--------------------------
ps. Evo, that looks more like Blutwurst. One of only two foods on the planet I will never again go near.
pps. Do not google it. You will never unsee it. You have been warned.
ppps. I just threw up. See!
pppps. OMG. It looks like this is a popular dish around the world.
ppppps. per wiki: "Blood sausages are very difficult to find in American supermarkets"
pppppps. GOOD! And lets keep it that way!

Evo

Mentor
My mother used to buy some "bologna" looking stuff from the local butcher shop. It took me almost 3 minutes of googling to figure out what it was called: Leberkäse!

It has neither liver(leber), nor cheese(käse) as ingredients, but does include corned beef, pork, onions, and, wait for it... Bacon!

It's been at least 20 years since I've eaten it.

--------------------------
ps. Evo, that looks more like Blutwurst. One of only two foods on the planet I will never again go near.
pps. Do not google it. You will never unsee it. You have been warned.
ppps. I just threw up. See!
pppps. OMG. It looks like this is a popular dish around the world.
ppppps. per wiki: "Blood sausages are very difficult to find in American supermarkets"
pppppps. GOOD! And lets keep it that way!
I love blood sausage. When i was little my mother used to buy blood sausage with tongue, so you had theis black sausage with this pink thing in the middle. The tongue was the best part.

Leberkäse sounds very yummy.

danago

Gold Member
I love blood sausage. When i was little my mother used to buy blood sausage with tongue, so you had theis black sausage with this pink thing in the middle. The tongue was the best part.

Leberkäse sounds very yummy.
I've had blood sausage, but have never tried tongue. What is the texture like? I'd prefer not to bite into my own tongue to find out.

I had chorizo sausage slices, fried with scallops and served over fries with a garlic and smoked paprika aioli sauce.