The Foodie Equation: Value for Money

• Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of evaluating the value of food through a foodie equation. The equation considers factors such as mass, selling price, and grade. The conversation also touches on the idea of people being willing to pay more for certain food items, even if they are not worth the value. The conversation also includes personal anecdotes about buying food and the mention of an ear pain while flying.
Oerg
Hi guys/gals

In view of the recent spate of sheer boredom englufing me, I have spent my time coming out with a foodie equation to evaluate the value of food!

[tex]V= k_m\frac{1}{k_s}(\frac{G}{50})^{\log_2?}[/tex]

[tex]k_m[/tex] represents the mass of food you are getting over the standard mass of food in a normal serving

[tex]k_s[/tex] represents the selling price of that meal over the market price of the same meal.

[tex] G[/tex] represents the grade you are giving to your food. On a scale of 1-100, how tasty is your food?

[tex] ?[/tex] represents the maximum multiple of the standard mrket price you are willing to pay for that dream meal

When V=1, the value of the food is average with values of mroe than 1 considered to be value for money.

For V<1, rationalize by 1/V to compare the results linearly. The resultant value means how lousy for value the meal is, with higher values indicating lousier value for money.

Be practical about the amount of money you are willing to pay for the dream meal, of course it must be within your means.

Physics news on Phys.org
Either there is a logical inconsistency, or people are idiots and/or suckers.

If people behave rationally and they know all parameter values with certainty (a big if), then they will only buy food if V > 1.

But you defined V = 1 as the average; so there must be some people who have bought less-than-average food (otherwise, everyone would be above average, a logical impossibility). But if they are rational and know everything with certainty, they wouldn't have bought less-than-average food. Therefore they are idiots and/or suckers.

well people do buy food which are not worth their value, like how food is sometimes more expensive in restaurants or in places like airports whereas there may be great tasting food lying around the neighbourhood which do not cost really much but taste great!

And how people always go to this and that restaurant because it's "hip" or trendy when one can probably just get the same food at a better price somewhere else.

Therefore they are idiots and/or suckers
Wrong. They are teenagers. Which is synonymous with idiots who are suckers.
16 yr old males especially fall for the larger [itex]K_m[/tex] values when [itex]K_s[/tex] falls below the current value their wallet [itex]W_\$[/tex]

Last edited:
They are teenagers. Which is synonymous idiots who are suckers.
Generalizing? What? No body's generalizing around here— :rolleyes:

Yeah, Jim...jerk. Hey, start a diet from this. There's plenty of fat Americans that have a slight bit of intelligence(passed algbera) to figure out how to use this equation. Better get a patent on it.

binzing said:
There's plenty of fat Americans that have a slight bit of intelligence(passed algbera) to figure out how to use this equation.
It would be interesting to do a simialir equation for the cost of the food.
I doubt that in America you could buy the ingredients for a fast food meal for less than the meal costs. In fact it might not be possible to buy raw calories cheaper than a fast food soda in any form.

well people do buy food which are not worth their value, like how food is sometimes more expensive in restaurants or in places like airports whereas there may be great tasting food lying around the neighbourhood which do not cost really much but taste great!
Reminds me of a few things from yesterday.

When I had gotten off the plane my right ear never "popped" between cruising altitude and ground, and it felt quite painful. On the way down I could feel more pain as the altitude lessened. When I got off, I ran to the snack bar, "Snacks on the fly" and bought a milky way to shove down, hoping maybe my ear would feel better. On the plane I'd tried yawning dozens of times, sneezing once, chewing gum, drinking water, and swallowing a few horrible cinnamon candies my seat neighbor gave me.

The Milky Way still did nothing and now my ability to hear out of that ear was almost nonexistent but the pain had lessened. So I made way over to Nathan's (hot dog franchise) and bought a hot dog and french fries, maybe a meal would help; I could swallow more at a time.

Eh. Didn't work. But a hot shower and some decongestants pretty much fixed it after I drove home.

jim mcnamara said:
Wrong. They are teenagers. Which is synonymous with idiots who are suckers.
16 yr old males especially fall for the larger [itex]K_m[/tex] values when [itex]K_s[/tex] falls below the current value their wallet [itex]W_\$[/tex]

Im sorry but when I was 16 two years ago, most of my friends and I paid for our food with the money we earned. Because we paid for our own food and everything, we bought cheap but good food. I know that this isn't how most 16 year olds are, but I am just saying don't generalize so much. You seem angry or something... And then if you take a look at the 18 and 19 year olds in college, we spend barely any money on food!

Mk said:
Reminds me of a few things from yesterday.

When I had gotten off the plane my right ear never "popped" between cruising altitude and ground, and it felt quite painful. On the way down I could feel more pain as the altitude lessened. When I got off, I ran to the snack bar, "Snacks on the fly" and bought a milky way to shove down, hoping maybe my ear would feel better. On the plane I'd tried yawning dozens of times, sneezing once, chewing gum, drinking water, and swallowing a few horrible cinnamon candies my seat neighbor gave me.

The Milky Way still did nothing and now my ability to hear out of that ear was almost nonexistent but the pain had lessened. So I made way over to Nathan's (hot dog franchise) and bought a hot dog and french fries, maybe a meal would help; I could swallow more at a time.

Eh. Didn't work. But a hot shower and some decongestants pretty much fixed it after I drove home.
Incidentally, I had the exact same problem when flying on Wednesday, even down to the right ear. I figured out that if I closed all of my orifices (my mouth, nose, and left ear) and blew really hard, I was able to pop it at will. After that, a simple yawn removed any remaining pressure build-up.

anyway this was something i thought out of for fun :D it isn't meant to be naything serious

moose said:
Im sorry but when I was 16 two years ago, most of my friends and I paid for our food with the money we earned. Because we paid for our own food and everything, we bought cheap but good food. I know that this isn't how most 16 year olds are, but I am just saying don't generalize so much. You seem angry or something... And then if you take a look at the 18 and 19 year olds in college, we spend barely any money on food!

Angry? No. Clowning around about how much food teen age boys can eat. I'm jealous.
And the point it seems I did not make clearly was that volume of food appears to count more than quality of food. YMMV.

What is "The Foodie Equation: Value for Money"?

"The Foodie Equation: Value for Money" is a mathematical model used to calculate the value for money of a meal or food item. It takes into account factors such as price, portion size, quality, and taste to determine if a food item is worth its cost.

How is "The Foodie Equation: Value for Money" calculated?

The equation is calculated by assigning a numerical value to each factor and then adding them together. For example, the price of the meal might be given a value of 1, portion size a value of 2, quality a value of 3, and taste a value of 4. The resulting sum is then compared to a predetermined scale to determine if the food item is a good value for money.

Why is "The Foodie Equation: Value for Money" important?

Many people are looking for ways to save money while still enjoying good food. "The Foodie Equation: Value for Money" provides a systematic approach to evaluating the cost-effectiveness of meals, helping individuals and families make informed decisions about their food purchases.

What are some limitations of "The Foodie Equation: Value for Money"?

While the equation takes into account important factors, it does not consider personal preferences or dietary restrictions. Additionally, it may not accurately reflect the overall value of a meal, as it does not take into account factors such as ambiance or service.

Can "The Foodie Equation: Value for Money" be used for all types of food?

Yes, the equation can be used for any type of food, whether it is a home-cooked meal or a restaurant dish. However, the values assigned to each factor may vary depending on the type of food being evaluated. For example, portion size may be more important for a family-style meal, while quality and taste may be more important for a fine dining experience.