1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Force on an Electron ?

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    The Force on an Electron...??

Again, hi! I am very thankful for the help that I am being provided. I am yet again stuck in a problem.

I really do not understand it.

For the situation described in Figure P31.32, the magnetic field changes with time according to the expression B = (5.00t3 - 1.00t2 + 0.800) T, and r2 = 2R = 5.00 cm.

(I have also attached the image).

Right now, I have not really tried to solve it, because I want to understand the concept first, but I really don't get it...mostly because I am not sure what equations would be appropriate.

(1) I have thought the equation for electric force would be useful, since they do involve an electron in the problem, and it's what we want to find. Fe = qE.

By deriving B in the problem, is it correct to say that I got the E field? (Which would therefore allow me to get the Force)

(2) Then I saw in the section where this problem appeared, that they use another type of equation for the E field, which is:

E = -r/2 * dB/dt

I don't believe that using just these equations in (1) and (2) will give me the right answer though, but after that I don't know what else I am supposed to assume or do.

(3) Also, since the r2 is outside of the circle in the image, I am assuming this is important. But I don't know how to include this in the problem.

I guess that mostly it's the concept that I don't understand. I really appreciate any help that I may get. Thankyou!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

The general vector force on a charged particle in a combination E and B field is

[tex]F = (q E) + (q v X B)[/tex]

Does that help?
  4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    I did see that equation though, but I'm not sure how I would get the velocity.

And does it matter that r is outside the circle??
  5. Nov 18, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

The velocity of the charged particle is changed by the F=ma force on it. The force on the charged particle comes from the qE + qv X B forces acting on it. And you are correct, if the B only exists insice that circle, then the qv X B force goes away outside the circle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?