1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Forces of Rolling

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hollow sphere of radius 0.45 m, with rotational inertia I = 0.026 kg m2 about a line through its center of mass, rolls without slipping up a surface inclined at 11° to the horizontal. At a certain initial position, the sphere's total kinetic energy is 80 J.
    (a) How much of this initial kinetic energy is rotational?

2. Relevant equations

KEi = KEf
    KE = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)Iw^2
    w = v/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe that with what I'm given I can solve for the mass of the object with rotational inertia and use that to find v? I also know that I'll have set one side of the equation equal to 80 and then solve for (1/2)Iw^2. I'm not 100% sure if finding v, then finding w and then finding (1/2)Iw^2 is the correct thought process..

I'd really appreciate any help at all for this one

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    Hello there :)

First of all, the proper symbol for Kinetic Energy is T - not KE :)

The first thing you should do is to find the angular velocity. Do this by substituting v for [tex]\omega r[/tex] in the equation for the total kinetic energy. This will give you the angular velocity as a function of r, I, m and T.

Next substitute this expression into the equation for rotational kinetic energy; that is

[tex]T_\mathrm{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega ^2[/tex]

- that will give you the rotational kinetic energy as a fraction of the total kinetic energy. And yes, you will need to find the mass as well. You can find it from the Moment of inertia, like you had reasoned

[Answer: [tex] T_\mathrm{rot}=\frac{I}{I+mr^2}T[/tex]]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook