1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The form factor

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    Here is the problem:

Use the fact that the form factor, F(q), is the Fourier transform of the normalised charge
    distribution [tex]\rho[/tex](r), which in the spherically symmetric case gives

[tex] F(q) = \int \frac{4\pi \hbar r}{q}\rho(r) sin(qr/\hbar))dr [/tex]

to find an expression for F(q) for a simple model of the proton considered as a uniform
    spherical charge distribution of radius R.

Using your calculated expression for F(q), demonstrate that in the limit
    [tex]\frac{qR}{\hbar} << 1[/tex]
    the form factor reduces to 1.

So, what I have tried so far:

I said that for 0 < r < R, the charge density is constant, and could be taken outside the integral along with the other constants, leaving me with

[tex] F(q) = \frac{4\pi \hbar \rho}{q}\int^R_0 r.sin(qr/\hbar)dr[/tex]

which when I integrate by parts leads to

[tex] F(q) = \frac{4\pi \hbar^3 \rho}{q^3}sin(qR/\hbar) - \frac{4\pi \hbar^2 \rho R}{q^2}cos(qR/\hbar) [/tex]

I am certain that I have done the integration correctly.

Then I come to the part where I make the approximation that [tex]\frac{qR}{\hbar} << 1[/tex] and this happens:
    [tex] sin(qR/\hbar) \approx qR/\hbar [/tex]

and

[tex] cos(qR/\hbar) \approx 1 [/tex]

which gives me

[tex] F(q) = \frac{4\pi \hbar^2 \rho R}{q^2} - \frac{4\pi \hbar^2 \rho R}{q^2} = 0[/tex]

but I am supposed to be getting F(q) = 1 when I make this approximation.

What am I doing wrong here? My only thought was that the question mentions something about normalization, and I thought that may have something to do with something, but I couln't think what. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2
    I used a charge density of e/volume (3 e /4 pi R^3) integrated over all space in spherical polars & normalised it then put it in the equation. It basically just got rid of the e

But i still get 0 for the 2nd bit!

edit: Hooray, i get 1 using 2nd order approximations for sin & cos

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook