Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Foundation Novels!

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    I have just read the foundation novels! They were great. Has anyone else read them? I need to talk to someone about them!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Are you referring to Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" or "Foundation & Empire" series? They are very good.

BTW - this should be posted in the History & Humanities forum.

4. Nov 10, 2005 #3
    I'm talking about from .Prelude to foundation through Forward the foundation.

5. Nov 10, 2005 #4

Evo

This is science fiction, why is it in history and humanities?

6. Nov 10, 2005 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Literature is not a humanity? SF is not literature?

The novels from Prelude on are not the original stories. The first three books Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation are collections of novellas that Isaac Asimov wrote for Astounding Science Fiction in the 1940s. Prelude and its successors, not all by Asimov were written in the 1970s or 80s to exploit the franchise. They are good, but in my opinion, not as good as the originals.

7. Nov 10, 2005 #6

Evo

I wish we still had a place to discuss books. Would this forum really draw the right people to discuss this series? Maybe one or two by accident, if at all.

Seriously, how many people are perusing this forum to discuss science fiction?

8. Nov 10, 2005 #7

Astronuc

Well there is Wooly's Thread on "Anglo Saxson Literature", and TSA put a thread on books, IIRC.

Acutally I liked the Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation, and the final one, Foundation's Edge. The last one was a bit strange, but clever.

9. Nov 10, 2005 #8

Evo

Yes history and more classical literature. We have no appropriate place anymore for science fiction and other genres. I personally LOVE science fiction.

We used to have a forum where we could discuss books. I miss that.

10. Nov 10, 2005 #9
    we did?!!? can we get that back!

I made the mistake of getting the first 3 foundation novels in one volume. I was up till 5 on a school night reading them!

11. Nov 11, 2005 #10

Astronuc

I read the original trilogy: Foundation, Foundation & Empire, and Second Foundation, 30+ years ago. At the time, I was a high school student. I reread these books recently (I read them to my son), and it was interesting to reflect back on when I had read them 30 years before. Also, I am a nuclear engineer, so I was amused by the comments about nuclear energy, which more or less reflected the optimism of nuclear energy and science in general at the time the original short stories were written.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series :biggrin:

The series started as a series of nine short stories, eight of which were published in Astounding Science Fiction magazine (between May 1942 and January 1950) and a ninth, which was written a few years later to serve as an introduction when the series was first published in book form.

Then a few years ago, I discovered Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation, which I quite enjoyed, and then Foundations Edge, which although I found it a bit strange (weird), I nevertheless enjoyed it. Clearly the later writing is much different than the earlier writing, and science and technology has changed so much.

12. Nov 11, 2005 #11
    Yes I am in the 10th grade right now. I couldn't put them down, even during class. Does anyone know of any other good science fiction books or series? I need more to read. I just bought pandora star by Peter F. Hamilton anyone read it?

13. Nov 11, 2005 #12

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, whatever did happen to that? It just disappeared about the time we got rid of the mkaku forum. Without a book forum, it seems to me this is the closest venue on PF to discuss any kind of fiction.

14. Nov 11, 2005 #13

Evo

I'll go for that. :biggrin:

15. Nov 11, 2005 #14
    Yes this will be a good place to discuss books. Noone in my town really reads that much or atleast reads any books I do. Does anyone know of any novels about space that are good?

16. Nov 12, 2005 #15

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I liked Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Childhood's End(Also by Clarke) was pretty good too.

17. Nov 12, 2005 #16

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Two recent ones that really impressed me,

A Deepness in the Sky by Vernon Vinge

Schild's Ladder by Greg Egan

18. Nov 12, 2005 #17

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Is that the one that talks about loop quantum gravity?

19. Nov 12, 2005 #18
    Anyone read The Last Legion series by Chris Bunch or any books by him?

20. Nov 13, 2005 #19

Astronuc

I have not.

How about Robert Heinlein, a contemporary of Asimov and Clarke?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Heinlein - comprehensive list of works included.

Heinlein is an interesting character.
    Heinlein wrote a series - Future History http://www.troynovant.com/Franson/Heinlein/Future-History.html

Another list of works - http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/heinlein.htm

21. Nov 13, 2005 #20

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If we are going to do all the golden age writers, I want to speak up for L. Sprague de Camp, author of many witty stories including the Incompleat Enchanter series (with Fletcher Pratt) of scientific fantasies, and the Viagens Interplanetarias space operas. And Henry Kuttner and Lester del Rey, and yes, even L. Ron Hubbard. I see that "To the Stars" has just been reissued. The first space opera story that really internalized the twin paradox.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?