1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Four Basic Forces Problems

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

And your question is?

4. Oct 24, 2014 #3
    (a) What is the ratio of the strength of the gravitational force to that of the strong nuclear force? (b) What is the ratio of the strength of the gravitational force to that of the weak nuclear force? (c) What is the ratio of the strength of the gravitational force to that of the electromagnetic force? What do your answers imply about the influence of the gravitational force on atomic nuclei?

a) 10^-38
    b)10^-25
    c) 10^-36

I do not understand the last part of part c. Is it that as the atomic nuclei gets smaller or larger, the gravitational force remains the same. Or is it that it was a greater force and feels more by gravity as atomic nuclei is smaller.

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4
    Sorry I am new and don't know how to post the question and answer.

6. Oct 24, 2014 #5

jedishrfu

you can edit your first post and follow the template provided.

I think they want you to notice that gravity is the weakest of the four forces and has virtually no effect at atomic levels.

7. Oct 24, 2014 #6

Mark44

Dhooy7,
    Please don't use SIZE tags in your post. The fonts size is perfectly legible already.

8. Oct 24, 2014 #7
    Sorry I didn't try.

9. Oct 24, 2014 #8
    5. Which statement is correct? (a) Net force causes motion. (b) Net force causes change in motion. Explain your answer and give an example.

10. Oct 24, 2014 #9

NascentOxygen

So, what is your answer to this going to be? Explain why.

11. Oct 25, 2014 #10
    Causes motion because two exact forces can act on an object and not move it. If the forces are unbalanced and the net force is not zero, then the object will move.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted