Proving the Fourier Series for a Real, Odd Function

In summary, the Fourier series for a real, odd function, f(t), can be written as f(t) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \sin{n \omega t}, where f(t=T)=f(t) and w=(2 \pi)/T. To prove that b_n = 2/T \int_{T/2}^{-T/2} f(t) \sin{n \omega t} \mathrm{d}t, we can use the identity \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} \sin^2{\left( \frac{2 \pi n t}{T} \right) }\ \mathrm{d}t = \frac{T}{
robgb
The Fourier Series!

Hi guys, I'm having a bit a trouble helping my daughter with this question on the Fourier series approximation:

The Fourier series for a real, odd function, f(t) can be written as:
f(t) = [SUM to infinity, n=1, of]: b[subscipt n] sin(nwt)
where f(t=T)=f(t) and w=(2[pie])/T

Prove that b[subscipt n] = 2/T [integral between T/2 & -T/2 of]: f(t)sin(nwt)dt

Sorry about not knowing how to do all the symbols etc, but if you write it out I'm pretty sure it makes sence.

Anyway, if anyone could give me a hand with how to go about proving this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Robert.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Robert,

You have a function of t represented by the series

[tex]f(t) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \sin{n \omega t}[/tex]

And you'd like to know what the [tex]\inline{b_n}[/tex] are. You're also given the condition [tex]\inline{f(t + T) = f(t)}[/tex], which just indicates the function's period is [tex]\inline{T}[/tex].

You're not even required to figure out what the [tex]\inline{b_n}[/tex] are; you're just asked to demonstrate that they are, in fact

[tex]b_n = \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} f(t) \sin{n \omega t}\ dt[/tex].

To do this, first note the following fact:

[tex]\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\int_{-T/2}^{T/2} \sin^2{\left( \frac{2 \pi n t}{T} \right) }\ dt &= \frac{T}{2}
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

for all n, and use it to perform the following steps:

[tex]\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\int_{-T/2}^{T/2} f(t) \sin{n \omega t}\ dt &= \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} \left[ \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \sin{n \omega t} \right] \sin{n \omega t}\ dt\\
&= \sum_{n=1}^\infty \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} b_n \sin^2{n \omega t}\ dt\\
&= \frac{T}{2} b_n
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Does this make sense?

- Warren

Thanks mate, yep i essentially understand, just 1 question though:

How did you get from the second line to the third line in the following:

[tex]\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\int_{-T/2}^{T/2} f(t) \sin{n \omega t}\ dt &= \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} \left[ \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n \sin{n \omega t} \right] \sin{n \omega t}\ dt\\
&= \sum_{n=1}^\infty \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} b_n \sin^2{n \omega t}\ dt\\
&= \frac{T}{2} b_n
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Could you work me though that bit in a little more detail mate?

Thanks a lot,
Robert.

Originally posted by robgb
Thanks mate, yep i essentially understand, just 1 question though:

How did you get from the second line to the third line in the following:

Could you work me though that bit in a little more detail mate?

Thanks a lot,
Robert.
i think chroot pulled a fast one on you. there is a bit more to the trick that you have to realize to make the infinite summation turn into a single term, with one integration.

to see this, first let me remind you of some trigonometric identities:

[tex]
\cos(a\pm b)=\cos a\cos b \mp\sin a\sin b
[/tex]
so
[tex]
\begin{align}
&\frac{1}{2}(\cos(a-b)-\cos(a+b))\\
&=-\frac{1}{2}\cos a\cos b+\frac{1}{2}\sin a\sin b\\
& -\frac{1}{2}\cos a\cos b+\frac{1}{2}\sin a\sin b\\
&= \sin a\sin b
\end{align}
[/tex]

we need to use this identity to evaluate some integrals:

[tex]
\begin{align}
&\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}\sin(\frac{2\pi mt}{T})\sin(\frac{2\pi nt}{T})\ dt=\\
&\frac{1}{2}\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}\cos\frac{2\pi(n-m)t}{T}\ dt-\frac{1}{2}\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}\cos\frac{2\pi(n+m)t}{T}\ dt=\\
&\left\frac{T}{4\pi(n-m)}\sin\frac{2\pi(n-m)t}{T}\right]^{T/2}_{-T/2}\\
&-\left\frac{T}{4\pi(n+m)}\sin\frac{2\pi(n+m)t}{T}\right]^{T/2}_{-T/2}\\
&=0
\end{align}
[/tex]
note that this integration is not valid when n=m, since it involves a division by zero. in the n=m case, i have:
[tex]
\begin{align}
\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}\sin^2\frac{2\pi nt}{T}\! dt\\
=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}dt-\frac{1}{2}\int_{-T/2}^{T/2}\cos\frac{4\pi nt}{T}dt\\
=T/2
\end{align}
[/tex]

so, now, armed with these integrals, we can do the problem.

i am going to rename the dummy index n, in the infinite summation to m. you will see why.
[tex]
f(t) = \sum_m^\infty b_m \sin\frac{2\pi mt}{T}
[/tex]

then

[tex]\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\int_{-T/2}^{T/2} f(t) \sin{n \omega t}\ dt &= \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} \left[ \sum_m^\infty b_m \sin\frac{2\pi mt}{T}\right] \sin\frac{2\pi nt}{T}dt\\
&= \sum_m^\infty b_m\int_{-T/2}^{T/2} \sin\frac{2\pi nt}{T}\sin\frac{2\pi mt}{T}\ dt
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

this summation contains an infinite number of terms, one for every value of m, but only when m=n is the term nonzero, so i will drop the summation, and change m to n, so i am only considering one integral, and the value of that integral is T/2. this is the only nonzero term of the infinite summation.

[tex]
\int_{-T/2}^{T/2} f(t) \sin{n \omega t}\ dt =\frac{T}{2}b_n
[/tex]
or
[tex]
b_n=\frac{2}{T}\int_{-T/2}^{T/2} f(t) \sin{n \omega t}\ dt
[/tex]

and that s it. any questions?

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of trigonometric functions. It can be used to approximate any continuous function by breaking it down into simpler components.

2. How is the Fourier Series used in real, odd functions?

In real, odd functions, the Fourier Series simplifies even further by only using sine functions. This is because odd functions have symmetry about the origin, resulting in all cosine terms being equal to zero.

3. What is an odd function?

An odd function is a mathematical function that has symmetry about the origin, meaning that the function values are equal and opposite on either side of the origin. In other words, if the input is x, the output is -x.

4. How do you prove the Fourier Series for a real, odd function?

The proof involves using the properties of odd functions and the orthogonality of sine functions. By taking advantage of the symmetry and applying the appropriate integrals, the Fourier Series for a real, odd function can be derived.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Fourier Series for real, odd functions?

The Fourier Series for real, odd functions has many practical applications, such as signal processing, image compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and finance to model and analyze various phenomena.