1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The French National Railroad holds the world's speed record for passenger trains in?

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    The French National Railroad holds the
    world's speed record for passenger trains in
    regular service. A TGV (tres grand vitesse,
    or very great speed) train traveling at a speed
    of 325 km/h requires 1.35 km to come to an
    emergency stop.
    Find the braking acceleration for this train,
    assuming constant acceleration. Answer in
    units of ms^2.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Welcome to the forums. For homework/coursework type questions you must show some work before we can help-- forum rules. So, what thoughts do you have on the question?

4. Sep 14, 2007 #3
    i need some help setting up the problem. I dont unders the horizontal and vertical componenets. Also what formula do i use?

5. Sep 14, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, there are only horizontal components in this question. You are told an initial velocity, a stopping distance, and a final velocity. You are also told that the acceleration is constant, and thus you are indirectly told to use the kinematic equations for constant acceleration. See this webpage for a list of the equations http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1

Now, can you pick one of these equations to use?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?