Can the Frenet Serret Frame Aid in Arc Length Parameterizations?

• A
  • Thread starter rabbed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary: So in order to get the curve back in terms of its original parameter, we need to invert the arc-length function, which may not always be possible.
rabbed
What is it useful for? Can it help in creating arc length parameterizations?

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT As I remember, it is a set of orthonormal moving frames, i.e., they provide a frame at each point with the moving axes : Tangent, Normal and Binormal moving axes are a basis for the derivatives of the curve. Did you have any specific question in mind?.
:

Last edited:
I'm interested in it's relation to arc length parameterization of a curve.

And let's say I have some curve in explicit form y = f(x) that (when default parameterized by setting x = t, y = f(t)) gives some non-unit-speed velocity along the curve.
If I have the Frenet Serret tangent-vector at any point on the curve, can I calculate the new angle at which I must move in at each point in order to stay on the curve having a speed of 1?

rabbed said:
I'm interested in it's relation to arc length parameterization of a curve.

And let's say I have some curve in explicit form y = f(x) that (when default parameterized by setting x = t, y = f(t)) gives some non-unit-speed velocity along the curve.
If I have the Frenet Serret tangent-vector at any point on the curve, can I calculate the new angle at which I must move in at each point in order to stay on the curve having a speed of 1?
What is a Frenet-Serret tangent vector?

lavinia said:
You can always parameterize a curve by arc length
Are you sure? I have tried to find it for y = x^2, but it doesn't seem possible.

rabbed said:
Are you sure? I have tried to find it for y = x^2, but it doesn't seem possible.

yes.

Can you show me how to find it?

rabbed said:
What about ##L(t) = \int_a^t ds##?

lavinia said:
I assume it is the curve ##c(t) = (t,t^2)##?

The new parameter ##s## is the length of the curve at time ##t## starting at an arbitrary point. This can always be done from an original parameterization by integration if the original parameter never has a derivative of zero.

Last edited:
lavinia said:
I assume it is the curve c(t)=(t,t2)c(t)=(t,t2)c(t) = (t,t^2)?
Yep
lavinia said:
The new parameter sss is the length of the curve at time ttt starting at an arbitrary point. This can always be done from an original parameterization by integration is the original parameter never has a derivative of zero.
Yes, I want s = 0 at t = 0.
The derivative of the original parameter t is 1 at all points so it should work, or do you mean the derivative of (t,t^2)?

But doesn't it come down to an integral that can't be expressed in terms of standard mathematical functions, or some expression that cannot be inverted. So in the end it can't be done?

fresh_42 said:
What about L(t)=∫tadsL(t)=∫atdsL(t) = \int_a^t ds?
What is L(t)?

The length you want to parameterize. It tells you how far you got on your curve, starting at ##L(a)=0##. So it's a parameter ##s=L(t)## in accordance to the arc length of the curve. What happens to the formulas if you describe your curve by ##s## depends on the individual cases.

But the indefinite integral of 1*ds would always be s, and the definite integral would always be t-a?
That length does not depend on the geometry of the curve from a to t?

rabbed said:
But the indefinite integral of 1*ds would always be s, and the definite integral would always be t-a?
That length does not depend on the geometry of the curve from a to t?
Why are you computing the integral of 1ds? You need the integral ## \int_a^b \sqrt{ 1+ f'(x)^2}dx ## which is the general arc -length formula for a (differentiable, of course) curve given as y=f(x). I think the simplest example is that of the circle C((0,0),1 )given as f(t)=(Cost, Sint), starting at t=0 . At time t, the length of the curve is the perimeter , which is precisely t . EDIT: I think this is what Lavinia and Fresh meant. EDIT 2: in Fresh's post, s is a composite function (the length function) so you need to use the chain rule after defining s.

Last edited:
Ultimately it comes down to substituting the arc-length formula where the usual parameter goes. For (t, t^2) find the arc-length formula L(t) and substitute into
(L(t), L(t)^2 ).

WWGD said:
For (t, t^2) find the arc-length formula L(t) and substitute into
(L(t), L(t)^2 ).
Since s = L(t), i think you need to substitute with t = L^-1(s) to
(L^-1(s), (L^-1(s))^2 )
In the case of y = x^2 it's possible to find L(t), but i don't think you can find L^-1(s)?
http://planetmath.org/arclengthofparabola

I think you expect to find it explicitly. But that is not need (and not possible in general). The inverse function theorem guaranties that it exists. That is all you need to say that you can choose to parametrize your curve by arc length.

rabbed said:
Since s = L(t), i think you need to substitute with t = L^-1(s) to
(L^-1(s), (L^-1(s))^2 )
In the case of y = x^2 it's possible to find L(t), but i don't think you can find L^-1(s)?
http://planetmath.org/arclengthofparabola
Well, yes, the issue is that the curve's parametrization is defined in function of its arc-length.

1. What is the Frenet Serret frame?

The Frenet Serret frame is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the local behavior of a curve in three-dimensional space. It consists of three mutually perpendicular unit vectors that are tangent, normal, and binormal to the curve at any given point.

2. How is the Frenet Serret frame calculated?

The Frenet Serret frame is calculated using the derivative of the position vector of the curve. This derivative is then used to find the unit tangent vector, which is then used to find the normal vector and binormal vector.

3. What is the significance of the Frenet Serret frame?

The Frenet Serret frame is significant because it provides a way to describe the curvature and torsion of a curve at any point. This information is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How is the Frenet Serret frame used in real-world applications?

The Frenet Serret frame is used in many real-world applications, such as describing the motion of objects in space, analyzing the shape of DNA molecules, and creating smooth animations in computer graphics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Frenet Serret frame?

One limitation of the Frenet Serret frame is that it can only be used for smooth curves, meaning curves that have a continuous first derivative. Additionally, it is only applicable in three-dimensional space and cannot be used for curves in higher dimensions.