Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Frequency of Radiation

1. Mar 15, 2006 #1
    Well, i am not a physcist so here is a question:

E = mc^2
    E = hf be shown as

mc^2 = hf creating a Einstein-Planck constant out of two constants,

m = f (h/c^2)*

I don't know if the equation is true so assuming its true,

Can we increase mass by increasing the frequency of radition of a particle for example?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2006 #2
    Lets say we use matter and anti-matter and annihilate ("destroy" each other to energy) and that energy (E from [tex]E=mc^2[/tex] would be emitted as fotons with a special wavelenght and therefore a special frequency.

I'm not sure on your last question though.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  4. Mar 15, 2006 #3
    The equation you're using will give you the Compton wave-length for the particle: the maximum wavelength of a photon before which particle creation can occur in the collision between this photon and a resting particle.
  5. Mar 16, 2006 #4
    You got E = hf for a photon and this relativistic relation E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2. Since a photon is massless, you get E = pc.

So E = hf = pc. Photon has no mass. But higher energy means higher frequency means higher momentum for a photon.
  6. Mar 16, 2006 #5
    And i lost it right there.

No mass and momentum, sounds odd you know
  7. Mar 16, 2006 #6
    So welcome to the quantum land where oddness reigns. Like Bohr said, if you not shocked then you haven't understood it.

Photons are energy lumps respectively chunks of momentum. They are no little balls or whatever, they have no definite size, no mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?