1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The frictionless surface

1. Nov 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 60 kg farmer ropes a 300 kg ox. Both are initially at rest, 24 m apart on a frictionless level surface. When farmer ends up pulling the ox towards him, the ox will move

A) 4m, B) 5m, C) 12m, D) 20m, E) 24m .
    Can anyone help me solve this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3
    Okay so in the momentum eq, how do I find out the velocity?

5. Nov 30, 2016 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

You can't find the magnitude of the velocity of either the farmer or the Ox.
    But you don't need to.. You only need to find the ratio of the velocities.
    Show us your attempt and we'll see where you're stuck.

6. Nov 30, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my opinion, this is one of these silly questions that makes no real sense. You have to know what practical elements the questioner intends you to ignore and what elements to focus on. Physics is supposed to model the real world, but an absurd question like this blatantly ignores the practical realities.

Anyway, you are supposed to concentrate on conservation of momentum. But, once something has momentum on a frictionless surface, it's not going to stop. So, you are supposed to assume that the farmer and ox move very slowly and bump into each other and stop. So, the question is asking how far the ox has moved when they bump into each other.

7. Dec 1, 2016 #6
    How am I supposed to find the velocity? This is question from a previous regional olympiad phase.

8. Dec 1, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The velocity is not relevant. That's one of the things you are supposed to know from reading the question.

9. Dec 1, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The speed does not matter for the answer, though I suspect it would matter to the farmer.

10. Dec 1, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Write out the momentum conservation equation, and think of it as a differential equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted