What was the cause of Ricco's sudden passing?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My beloved dog, my best friend, and constant companion Ricco (aka The Fruit Bat) passed away suddenly today. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure Thursday, but I was told that with medication he should have another couple of years. He was due to have tests this week and start medication. Early this morning he had severe breathing problems and Evo Child and I drove him to the vet where they were going to give him oxygen and start the tests. They called at 12:30pm and told me that he passed away.

I love you Ricco. I will never forget you. If there is a heaven for him, it is filled with the cats he loved so much.

riccotongue.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I am so sorry Evo. You have my condolences.

He was lucky to have such a loving owner and companion in you, I'm sure he lived a happy life and I'm sorry for your loss x

I am so sorry Evo :(

Oh, no! Such a sweetie!. You can't hope to fill that hole in your heart anytime soon... I wish you the best.

Thank you all. I'm lost right now.

My cat died two years ago and I still miss him, so I know how you feel.

:cry: {{{hugs}}}

I'm so sorry!

:frown: Sorry to hear that.

I'm so sorry.

:frown: {{{hugs}}}

I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP, FB

Looks like he had some kind of personality - growing a beard like ZZ Top and sticking his tongue out when a picture is being snapped. I miss him already.
So sorry Evo.

I am so sorry. :cry:

256bits said:
Looks like he had some kind of personality - growing a beard like ZZ Top and sticking his tongue out when a picture is being snapped. I miss him already.
So sorry Evo.
He did have an incredible personality.

Thanks again everyone for the kind thoughts. I am still in shock. I held in him my arms just this morning.

If you decide to get another dog anytime soon, please adopt a shelter dog, and share posts and pix. Everybody needs a home.

Love,
turbo

Last edited:
turbo said:
If you decide to get another dog anytime soon, please adopt a shelter dog, and share posts and pix. Everybody needs a home.

Love,
turbo
It will be awhile. I just held him in my arms this morning. It's not real to me yet. I still feel his presence.

I have always saved shelter dogs, Spawn got the FB because she had researched the qualities she wanted in a dog. Then she started college and realized she wouldn't have enough time between work and school to give him the time and affection he would need, so she gave him to me.

I'm sorry Evo, I can't begin to imagine how horrible that must feel. I don't know what I would do if something happened to my dog.

One thought came to my mind.

:frown:

QuarkCharmer said:
I'm sorry Evo, I can't begin to imagine how horrible that must feel. I don't know what I would do if something happened to my dog.
A part of me died Quark. He was so human-like. When he was in distress during the night, he tapped me with his paw to get my attention.

Evo said:
A part of me died Quark. He was so human-like. When he was in distress during the night, he tapped me with his paw to get my attention.

Poor thing :cry:

Evo said:
My beloved dog, my best friend, and constant companion Ricco (aka The Fruit Bat) passed away suddenly today. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure Thursday, but I was told that with medication he should have another couple of years. He was due to have tests this week and start medication. Early this morning he had severe breathing problems and Evo Child and I drove him to the vet where they were going to give him oxygen and start the tests. They called at 12:30pm and told me that he passed away.

I love you Ricco. I will never forget you. If there is a heaven for him, it is filled with the cats he loved so much.

riccotongue.jpg

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

micromass said:
Poor thing :cry:
I can't describe my sense of loss micro. I loved my cat Dr Foofer so much, and I grieved terribly when he died, but the sudden loss of the FB has left me devastated. I don't know what to do. He's not coming back.

Thank you dl, it's been devastating. Animals are so helpless, they can't tell us what they are feeling. I think the FB held a lot in. He obviously was suffering much more than he showed.

Evo said:
I can't describe my sense of loss micro. I loved my cat Dr Foofer so much, and I grieved terribly when he died, but the sudden loss of the FB has left me devastated. I don't know what to do. He's not coming back.

Thank you dl, it's been devastating. Animals are so helpless, they can't tell us what they are feeling. I think the FB held a lot in. He obviously was suffering much more than he showed.

That is really sad. In Japanese, people say "縁がなかったからですよ。" In English, it is his fate. Please make him a wish 'rest in peace'.

But finally the tears fill our eyes
and we know that somewhere tonight
Fruitbat knows how much we will miss him

:frown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkCzeeR91c

goodnight little one

I will dream of you tonight

What a little cutie you had. I am very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the day when our little Galinda...

Sorry again.

That's so sad :frown: Cherish the good times that you had, he's now resting in peace.

I am sorry for your loss, Evo! RIP, Fruit Bat. :frown:

No words can describe the pain of losing a loved one.

My condolances. {{Evo}}

Andre said:
No words can describe the pain of losing a loved one.
I will never have another ferret again for that reason. They are so personable and charming, each with their own personalities. BUT their lives are short. They suffer from the same maladies that people do (congestive heart failure, stroke, etc) but on a shorter schedule.

Since I was working as a consultant during the time that we were ferret-herding and my wife was in manufacturing with a fixed schedule, I got the "honor" of taking our ill ferrets to the vet's for their last visit. Very sad days. When our last ferret (turbo) passed away, I vowed "No more animals!" and later Duke showed up as an ASPCA shelter dog who was slated to head to a kill-"shelter" because he had been un-adopted for over 4 months. Had to get him, and that decision was the best in a lot of years. My wife and I love each other, but Duke is a constant companion for me during the day and an anchor for both of us when she is home. Dogs are sweet, attentive, and caring. If something is wrong with you, your dog will know, and will care. That's more than you can say for many humans.

I don't want to hijack Evo's thread, but:
People, if you'd like some company (and entertainment and thrills) please visit your local ASPCA shelter and see if you can make friends. You should know that pure-bred dogs can have bad traits due to the amplification of recessive genes during breeding, so please pick a mutt! We all need homes.

Last edited:
There is a poem, called "rainbow bridge". I'm not sure, but I hope it's appropriate, Evo.

Yes Turbo, it's also the reason why I stopped with having dogs. You build up an intense relationships and then it's all over. Intolerable. But it seems that with each farewell, one gets milder. Also, somehow with kittens it's different.

RIP FruitBat

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Evo, Pets are part of our family - we love them almost as much as our own kids. So I know how difficult it can be losing a pet like FB suddenly. I'm sure you gave FB a terrific life. Love that tongue thing he's got going on! Hope you're feeling better today.

I am very sorry for your loss, Evo. It is always so hard and sad to let them go when the time comes.

Andre said:
There is a poem, called "rainbow bridge". I'm not sure, but I hope it's appropriate, Evo.

Yes Turbo, it's also the reason why I stopped with having dogs. You build up an intense relationships and then it's all over. Intolerable. But it seems that with each farewell, one gets milder. Also, somehow with kittens it's different.

Our vet sends us a card with the rainbow bridge poem on it whenever we lose a pet.

I believe we've gotten about 12 so far... :cry: At one point we had seven animals [dogs and cats] all about the same age. They all lived long lives but then all passed over a period of just a few years. Truthfully, it took me a few more years to recover emotionally. But we love them and they love us, and their short lives are the price we pay for that precious gift.

<h2>1. What is the most common cause of sudden death in healthy individuals?</h2><p>The most common cause of sudden death in healthy individuals is cardiac arrest, which is when the heart suddenly stops beating.</p><h2>2. Could Ricco's sudden passing have been caused by an underlying medical condition?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible that Ricco had an undiagnosed medical condition that could have contributed to his sudden passing. It is important to conduct a thorough medical examination to determine the cause of death.</p><h2>3. Are there any environmental factors that could have played a role in Ricco's sudden passing?</h2><p>Environmental factors such as extreme temperatures, exposure to toxins, or physical exertion can potentially trigger a sudden death in individuals with underlying health conditions.</p><h2>4. Is there a way to prevent sudden death in healthy individuals?</h2><p>While sudden death cannot always be prevented, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, regular medical check-ups, and knowing your family medical history can help identify any potential risks and take preventive measures.</p><h2>5. What steps can be taken to determine the exact cause of Ricco's sudden passing?</h2><p>An autopsy, toxicology tests, and reviewing medical records and family history can help determine the cause of sudden death. It is important to involve a team of medical professionals, including a forensic pathologist, to conduct a thorough investigation.</p>

1. What is the most common cause of sudden death in healthy individuals?

The most common cause of sudden death in healthy individuals is cardiac arrest, which is when the heart suddenly stops beating.

2. Could Ricco's sudden passing have been caused by an underlying medical condition?

Yes, it is possible that Ricco had an undiagnosed medical condition that could have contributed to his sudden passing. It is important to conduct a thorough medical examination to determine the cause of death.

3. Are there any environmental factors that could have played a role in Ricco's sudden passing?

Environmental factors such as extreme temperatures, exposure to toxins, or physical exertion can potentially trigger a sudden death in individuals with underlying health conditions.

4. Is there a way to prevent sudden death in healthy individuals?

While sudden death cannot always be prevented, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, regular medical check-ups, and knowing your family medical history can help identify any potential risks and take preventive measures.

5. What steps can be taken to determine the exact cause of Ricco's sudden passing?

An autopsy, toxicology tests, and reviewing medical records and family history can help determine the cause of sudden death. It is important to involve a team of medical professionals, including a forensic pathologist, to conduct a thorough investigation.