The Function f(x) = 6x^2+5x

• Thread starter Jaco Viljoen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Remember that if the product of two factors is negative, then one of the factors must be negative and the other positive. So you have two cases to consider: (3x+4)<0 and (2x-1)>0, or (3x+4)>0 and (2x-1)<0. Solving each of these inequalities will give you the same regions as your original approach, but you'll have an easier time seeing which regions give the desired solution.In summary, the function ƒ(x) = 6x^2+5x has two roots at -4/3 and 1/2. To solve the inequality f(x) < 4, you need to find the interval between these
Jaco Viljoen
Good afternoon everyone,
I am preparing for exams and thought I would post a couple old paper questions and answers for what I have done,
As always I appreciate any input and feedback.

Homework Statement

The Function ƒ(x) = 6x^2+5x
a) Write down the Dƒ
b) Solve the inequality f(x) < 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)x∈ℝ
b)

6x^2+5x<4
6x^2+5x-4<0
(3x+4)(2x-1)<0

3x+4<0
3x<-4
x<-(4/3)

2x-1<0
2x<1
x<1/2

(-4/3)< x <(1/2) I am not sure why x is greater than -4/3 why would the sign change direction here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You found that the (only) zeros of the function are at -4/3 and 1/2. So between those points the function will have a constant sign (negative or positive) and outside of those points the sign will be opposite what it is between them.
All you need to know is the sign of one point, (not one of the zeros), and you know the signs in all those intervals.
x=0 is between -4/3 and 1/2.
At x = 0, f(x) =0, so f(x)<4 is true.
Therefore the only interval that solves the inequality is between the zeros of f(x)-4 = 0, which you already know.

In your work, separating the inequalities, you missed the important feature of inequalities of products.
if (a)(b)<0, then either a is negative and b is positive or b is negative and a is positive, but both negative or both positive would give a positive product.

Likes Jaco Viljoen
RUber said:
In your work, separating the inequalities, you missed the important feature of inequalities of products.
if (a)(b)<0, then either a is negative and b is positive or b is negative and a is positive, but both negative or both positive would give a positive product.

So where in my work did I go wrong?
I am not sure I see the problem, would you mind showing me?

Thank you RUber

Jaco Viljoen said:
b)

6x^2+5x<4
6x^2+5x-4<0
(3x+4)(2x-1)
Above, you are missing ' < 0' in the last inequality.
Jaco Viljoen said:
3x+4<0
3x<-4
x<-(4/3)

2x-1<0
2x<1
x<1/2
Both of the above are wrong for the reason that RUber gives. In order for (3x + 4)(2x - 1) < 0, exactly one of the following must be true:
1. 3x + 4 < 0 AND 2x - 1 > 0,
OR
2. 3x + 4 > 0 AND 2x - 1 < 0

Investigate each of the two cases above. (You'll find that one of them can't happen.)

Jaco Viljoen said:
(-4/3)< x <(1/2) I am not sure why x is greater than -4/3 why would the sign change direction here?

Jaco Viljoen said:
Good afternoon everyone,
I am preparing for exams and thought I would post a couple old paper questions and answers for what I have done,
As always I appreciate any input and feedback.

Homework Statement

The Function ƒ(x) = 6x^2+5x
a) Write down the Dƒ
b) Solve the inequality f(x) < 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)x∈ℝ
b)

6x^2+5x<4
6x^2+5x-4<0
(3x+4)(2x-1)<0

3x+4<0
3x<-4
x<-(4/3)

2x-1<0
2x<1
x<1/2

Think of the graph y = f(x). You want to know the x-region where y < 4, which is the part below the horizontal line at height 4. The graph crosses the line at two points, which you have already found. Between these two roots the function f(x)-4 has one sign, and beyond the roots (in either direction) it has the opposite sign. To figure out which is which, just look at any particular value, such as f(0) - 4, to see which of the three regions the point x = 0 lies within. From that you can easily work out the complete solution.

Alternatively, you can take a more "algebraic" approach and examine the factors of the function f(x)-4, which you have done, but incorrectly.

1. What is the function f(x) = 6x^2+5x?

The function f(x) = 6x^2+5x is a mathematical equation that represents a relationship between a variable x and its corresponding output value. It is a quadratic function with a leading coefficient of 6, meaning it has a parabolic shape when graphed.

2. What is the domain of the function f(x) = 6x^2+5x?

The domain of a function refers to all the possible input values for which the function is defined. In the case of f(x) = 6x^2+5x, there are no restrictions on the input values, so the domain is all real numbers.

3. How do I find the x-intercepts of the function f(x) = 6x^2+5x?

The x-intercepts of a function are the points where the graph intersects the x-axis. To find them, set f(x) = 0 and solve for x using the quadratic formula or by factoring the equation. In this case, the x-intercepts of f(x) = 6x^2+5x are -5/6 and 0.

4. What is the vertex of the function f(x) = 6x^2+5x?

The vertex of a quadratic function is the point where the graph reaches its maximum or minimum value. To find the vertex, use the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of x^2 and x, respectively. In this case, the vertex of f(x) = 6x^2+5x is (-5/12, -25/24).

5. How can I use the function f(x) = 6x^2+5x to solve real-world problems?

The function f(x) = 6x^2+5x can be used to model various real-world scenarios, such as projectile motion, population growth, and financial investments. By plugging in different values for x, you can find the corresponding output values and use them to make predictions or solve problems.