Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Function Pi(x) formula (aproximate)

1. Apr 23, 2003 #1
    I think it is a good way to obtain the formula for Pi(x),where
    Pi(x)={Sum over primes<x}of 1

We know that S(p)Exp(-sp)=Int(0,infinite)Pi(x)Exp(-sx)..where s is a parameter s>0 and S(p) means sum over all primes.

But Int(0,infinite)Pi(x)Exp(-sx) is just the Laplace transform (will be donoted by L) of the function Pi(x) so we would have.

S(p)Exp(-sp)=L(Pi(x)) or taking the inverse

L**(-1)Exp(-sp)=Pi(x). (1)

To get the sum S(p)Exp(-sp) we will use the formula

S(0,infinite){Pi(x)-Pi(x-1)+1}(-1)**nZ**n=2Z**2-S(p)Z**p+1/1+Z**p (2)

as you can check a(n)={Pi(n)-Pi(n-1)+1} we would have an alternate series so we could use an Euler transform to improve the convergence and from (2) we could obtain S(p)Exp(-sp) and substitute it into the formula given in (1) to obtain an aproach to formula Pi(x).

I submitted it by e-mail and letter to several universities in my country (spain) but i did not have any answer..i do not know if there is something wrong in my method or..if it is useles...or if perhaps will be only snobism..to accept that a non-mathematician person this important formula....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2003 #2
    Oops..i made a mistake......

S(p)Exp(-sp)=sInt(0,infinite)Pi(x)Ex(-sx), this would be the correct formula..where Pi(-1)=Pi(0)=0=Pi(1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?