The Future of GR: Is Time Already Set?

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future Gr
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time in GR and whether it is already contained in ST. There is disagreement about this and a suggestion to read a book on the philosophy of spacetime. The conversation also touches on the idea that different observers may experience time differently due to factors such as relative speed, acceleration, and gravity. Ultimately, there is no consensus on whether all events are contained in ST and the conversation also raises questions about the nature of time in GR compared to SR.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
the "future" in GR

In GR, is all of time already contained in ST and we're just moving through it? this seems to be the only way to explain the fact that for different observers time passes at different speeds. is this correct? (this isn't a philisofic question)

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you test this experimentally? (If it isn't to be a philosophical question, there must be an experimental test, at the very least a thought experiment, one which should be possible in princple even if it is currently utterly impractical).

daniel_i_l said:
In GR, is all of time already contained in ST and we're just moving through it? this seems to be the only way to explain the fact that for different observers time passes at different speeds. is this correct? (this isn't a philisofic question)
I would say it is correct, but not everybody will agree. I would say that those who do not agree do not take ST literally or sufficiently seriously, i.e., they think that there is more about time than said by ST.

pervect said:
How would you test this experimentally? (If it isn't to be a philosophical question, there must be an experimental test, at the very least a thought experiment, one which should be possible in princple even if it is currently utterly impractical).
i'm not sure if experiment is that relevant as we're asking if all time is within GR, a model, not whether GR's view of time (whether all or not) models reality correctly.

daniel_i_l said:
Regardless if "all of time is already contained", for which there is no shred of evidence, I disagree with your statement that that seems to be the only way to explain different passages of time for different observers.

There is nothing strange about different passages of time.

Think of cars, do all odometers show the same mileage? Of course not. Are we surprised by that? I think not. Some cars travel more and on longer paths than others.
In space-time wordlines cross both space and time. Some worldlines will be longer than others and basically the longer the worldline between two events the less time will be elapsed. So different observers show different clock values.
Ask yourself why you conclude it it is normal for distance but not for time.

Last edited:
MeJennifer: When i talked about different passages of time i wasn't talking about the "speed" of a clock. rather i was talking about the fact that two people could look at the same place in space but see different events - in other words, they could both be looking at point X in space but one of them would see event A happening and the other event B (which according to the first observer happened after event A). doesn't this prove that all the events are "contained" in ST already?
and if all events aren't "contained", then let's say that the universe isn't expanding (because i don't think that it's relevant here) then how would something that wasn't "contained" before suddenly become "contained"? wouldn't that require some artificial "expansion of time"? and since ST itself is the same for all observers that this "rate of expansion" wouldn't even be defined? so how is it possible to say that not everything is contained?

Suggested reading

Hi, Daniel, I can't understand what you are trying to get at, but you might try the very readable book Space, Time, and Spacetime, by Lawrence Sklar, which offers quite a bit of discussion of relativity. (There are of course many other books on the philosophy of spacetime; I did see that you insist that your question is not philosophical but perhaps a philosophy book might help us help you to figure out what your question is?)

daniel_i_l said:
When i talked about different passages of time i wasn't talking about the "speed" of a clock.
Neither was I. :smile:

daniel_i_l said:
rather i was talking about the fact that two people could look at the same place in space but see different events - in other words, they could both be looking at point X in space but one of them would see event A happening and the other event B (which according to the first observer happened after event A). doesn't this prove that all the events are "contained" in ST already?
They could both try to look at say a particular atom but the lightpaths from that atom to both observers are obviously different. Relative speed, acceleration and curvature determine what an observer actually sees.

Think of the way we are getting information, say right now you are watching the news and get a live report on something in Pittsburgh PA while I am reading last year's Pittsburgh's Quarterly. Different paths of information both in space and in time about the same object.

Last edited:
One result of GR that is not true of SR is that time will move more slowly for an observer in a large gravity well. (in fact, I believe it has been verified, through spectrum studies, that electron "oscillate" more slowly on the sun than on earth.) Does that qualify as what you mean by "time in GR" being different from time in "SR"?

1. How does the theory of General Relativity (GR) relate to the concept of time being already set?

The theory of General Relativity explains how gravity works in the universe, including how massive objects like planets and stars affect the space and time around them. It does not directly address the concept of time being already set, but it can provide insights into the nature of time and how it may operate in the universe.

2. What evidence supports the idea of time being already set in GR?

There is currently no concrete evidence that supports the idea of time being already set in GR. However, some interpretations of the theory, such as the block universe model, suggest that all events in the past, present, and future exist simultaneously, indicating that time may already be predetermined.

3. How does the concept of time being already set impact our understanding of free will?

The concept of time being already set in GR can challenge our traditional understanding of free will. If all events in time are predetermined, it may suggest that our actions and choices are also predetermined and therefore we do not have true free will. However, this is a philosophical debate and not a scientific conclusion.

4. Are there any alternative theories to GR that suggest time is not already set?

Yes, there are alternative theories to GR that suggest time is not already set. For example, the theory of Quantum Mechanics proposes that the future is uncertain and can only be predicted probabilistically, rather than being predetermined. There are also theories that combine elements of both GR and Quantum Mechanics, such as Loop Quantum Gravity, which also do not support the idea of time being already set.

5. Can we ever know for sure if time is already set in the universe?

As of now, we do not have enough evidence or understanding to definitively say whether time is already set in the universe. It may be a question that remains unanswered or constantly debated among scientists and philosophers. However, with continued advancements in technology and scientific research, we may gain a better understanding of the nature of time and its relationship to the universe in the future.