Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The future of augmented reality

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Some stunning examples of a technology that (I think) will really change how we live our lives in the future.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9522194.stm

If you have an iphone you can get the free app, print the markers and see for yourself!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2
    It could be just another gimmick when it comes to gaming. However, advanced image processing will definitely enhance the way we interact with technology.

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3
    Very impressive! Thanks for that! This technology could well revolutionize the way we communicate. My best hope for it is in the education sector, not so much in entertainment.

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

There are so many cool applications! Considering what they demonstrated with the kinect and 360 degree cameras I can easily imagine empty rooms that you go into, put on some AR specs and suddenly the room is filled with hundreds of people from all over the world in their individual rooms! On a serious note I can definitely see this helping in the medical sector; stick your patient in an MRI and see him pop up in front of you, walk down the ward and see peoples names, vitals and notes appear above their heads. Very cool stuff.

Regarding entertainment it kind of gives a new meaning to MMO and LARP if kids are running around a real forest fighting dragons and orcs :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook