Is Modern Conservatism Unsustainable?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary: While she doesn't seem to have any political ambitions, even Jenna Bush sounds like a reasonable person. One day she commented [or implied] that while she loves her dad, she doesn't agree with much of what he did.
rootX
Mickey Edwards and other thoughtful conservatives have suggested their tattered movement should save itself by transforming into libertarianism. These critics say that conservatives should drop the culture wars, abjure interventions abroad, and embrace minimal government and untrammeled free enterprise. As I demonstrate, however, in my book, White Protestant Nation: The Rise of the American Conservative Movement, this transformation would alienate two indispensable base components of modern conservatism. These are Christian conservatives, who seek government regulation of morality, and a business community that rhetorically embraces free markets but also supports subsidies and loans, export guarantees, friendly regulations, foreign interventions, and other government initiatives that serve its interests. As Ed Crane, a founder of the Libertarian Party explained 35 years ago, conservatism is not libertarianism, because conservatives seek “to harness the power of the state to serve their particular brand of intervention into voluntary human affairs.” It is possible, however, that modern conservatism is unsustainable and will splinter into distinct libertarian, pro-business, and Christian right movements.

http://news.google.com/news?btcid=8db0ab72be47535d

I just stumbled into this extract and now really want to read that book. I think it is a good book as it does not seem to promote hate or religious propaganda. Currently, I also have same opinion as M Edwards (one that is bold). Anyone have read this book?
I don't want something like book written by Sarah Palin.

Physics news on Phys.org
McCain's daughter, Meghan McCain, is sounding far more reasonable than the now defunct neocons.

She is supposed to write a book as well.
Meghan McCain, who campaigned for her father during the 2008 presidential race, will examine what it means to "love the Republican party, while not always fitting in," says publisher Hyperion, which inked a deal with McCain.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hc3IwuI_lBNoeieOsT6OCwHKSEAgD97FPAF80 [Broken]

Being that she is young, she may be representitive of where the party is going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
McCain's daughter, Meghan McCain, is sounding far more reasonable than the now defunct neocons.

She is supposed to write a book as well.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hc3IwuI_lBNoeieOsT6OCwHKSEAgD97FPAF80 [Broken]

Being that she is young, she may be representitive of where the party is going.

Meghan McCain has about as much authority as Joe the Plumber.

The modern republican party is unsustainable, the sooner it collapses and dies the better. Afterwards, the same needs to happen to the democratic party. They are incoherent alliances of irreconciliable ideologies. They work so well in their present form by dominating the voting landscape and pushing out the possibility of rational choices. The sooner they die, the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
franznietzsche said:
Meghan McCain has about as much authority as Joe the Plumber.

I don't know if she has what it takes to run for office, but she certainly has a far more valuable perspective than JTP. She has been around politics her entire life and has a very powerful father.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know if she has what it takes to run for office, but she certainly has a far more valuable perspective than JTP. She has been around politics her entire life and has a very powerful father.

See Also: George W. Bush

franznietzsche said:
See Also: George W. Bush

Listen to her [McCain] talk sometime. She is not her father.

While she doesn't seem to have any political ambitions, even Jenna Bush sounds like a reasonable person. One day she commented [or implied] that while she loves her dad, she doesn't agree with much of what he did.

1. What is the current state of conservatism?

The current state of conservatism is complex and multifaceted. It is often characterized by a divide between traditional, small-government conservatives and more populist, nationalist conservatives. Additionally, there is a growing emphasis on issues such as immigration, trade, and social issues.

2. How do you predict the future of conservatism?

Predicting the future of conservatism is difficult as it is constantly evolving and influenced by various factors. However, some experts believe that the movement may continue to shift towards a more populist and nationalistic ideology, while others predict a return to more traditional conservative principles.

3. Will conservatism continue to be a dominant political force?

It is impossible to say for certain, but many believe that conservatism will remain a significant force in politics, particularly in countries with a strong history of conservative ideologies. However, its dominance may be challenged by shifting societal values and political landscapes.

4. How will technology impact the future of conservatism?

Technology will likely play a significant role in shaping the future of conservatism. It has already had a major impact on political communication and campaigning, and may continue to do so in the future. Additionally, advancements in technology may also shape conservative policies and approaches to issues such as privacy and national security.

5. How can conservatism adapt to changing societal values?

Conservatism has evolved and adapted to changing societal values throughout history, and it is likely that it will continue to do so in the future. This may involve redefining certain principles and finding new ways to appeal to a diverse and evolving electorate. It may also involve embracing certain social issues and finding common ground with other political ideologies.