The History & Future of Sex: Marty Klein, Ph.D - SexEd.org

• History
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the history and future of sex are complex and multi-faceted. The field of sexology is still developing, and there is much to learn about the past and future of sexuality.
SF said:
Let's face it, physics fans just aren't having enough sex to talk about it :D. Natural selection will rule physicists out :p

Ok this is EXACTLY what I was referring to. Those who have it the least talk about it the most. It really depends on the person though and their maturity level.

Science news on Phys.org
What do you feel the expectations of friends and family might be?

When I was a teenager [nearing the end of the sexual revolution of the sixties], it was all but a requirement the either have sex or to say that you did. With the advent of the pill, it was a virtual free-for-all as compared to previous generations. Also, I was a walking hormone, so I tried to have as much as much sex as possible. :biggrin: Later, however, I found that sex became less important if I wasn't in a serious relationship. The one-night stand business ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Also, that's about the time that Herpes first came along, which was the first time that we worried about a disease that a shot wouldn't cure. It changed everything. And then came AIDS... But that's about the time I met my wife Tsu. I have been faithfully married ever since and I have no idea what dating is like these days. If we had a cure or prevention method for herpes and AIDS, would this change things? Would there be a second sexual revolution? Did the first one ever really end?

Would there be a second sexual revolution?

You know there would.

get knowing from first hand...

Ivan Seeking said:
.. But that's about the time I met my wife Tsu. I have been faithfully married ever since and I have no idea what dating is like these days.
Hmm...Maybe we can arrange an appropriate date for u ?:devil:

I see tehno is a case in point with respect to my contention that society needs to move on... (I don't mean this as an insult because I see he isn't being serious)

Averagesupernova said:
Those who have it the least talk about it the most.
Of course I disagree. My idea is that people don't talk if there's nothing to talk about.

SF said:
Of course I disagree. My idea is that people don't talk if there's nothing to talk about.

Not necessarily. I've never done LSD but I know enough people who have so that if someone described how they were feeling and what they were seeing I'd suggest the were trip'n. However, it would still be obvious to the experienced acid dropper that I had never done it.

dilan said:
Yuk, what load of crap is that? :yuck:
SF has the subtle sense of humour .

Future of Sex; there'll be fetishes that involve the left turn signals on coveted cars. People will want to bath in a barrel of crude and there'll be sex dolls made of paper money.

FYI, it is claimed that table skirts were invented because the sight of the legs might be too suggestive for some men to resist.

Ivan Seeking said:
FYI, it is claimed that table skirts were invented because the sight of the legs might be too suggestive for some men to resist.

I believe it.

The future of sex depends on a number of factors. Were there to be a complete breakdown of the economic engine that supports European and NorthAmerican lifestyles I think we'd see sexual practises begin to slip back into the control of Victorian values. This is because when people have to work harder to survive they don't want extra burdens such as the conception of children threatening their survival. I think that is what drives most of the restrictive sex policies found in many religions. They were adopted from the practises of nomadic and agricultural cultures alike. These cultures put strict restrictions on sexually stimulating visual displays of body parts in an attempt to stay jealous in-fighting, personal injustices, and over population. Were the grand lifestyle that most westerner's enjoy taken away from them, and they had to scavange and work really hard for their survival I'd say that these sorts of restrictions might return full blown.

It might be that the future of sex involves using sex as a "weapon of social disruption". If you want a society to fall apart just strip it of dignity and diminish individual privacy rights. create more orphans and create a pool of media manipulated, criminal minds with low social or moral values which would normally be instilled by parenting.

Were Racisim to become a social norm the ultimate result would be a future where the only sex permissible would be incest. This is because at some point in the future of a Racist society, no cross-breeding would be allowed.

baywax said:
Future of Sex; there'll be fetishes that involve the left turn signals on coveted cars. People will want to bath in a barrel of crude and there'll be sex dolls made of paper money.

What makes you think such things don't already exist? :wink:

I think he was talking from experience :D He must be starting a new trend or something.

SF said:
He must be starting a new trend or something.

Well, if so, it's not unlikely that he's going to make a lot of money. We live in a time in which absurdity and idiotism are appreciated. :rolleyes:

radou said:
Well, if so, it's not unlikely that he's going to make a lot of money. We live in a time in which absurdity and idiotism are appreciated. :rolleyes:

Its true. I'm just forecasting the spread of these trends.

In fact I've got clients who request a dressed up table all the time. Don't ask what happens to the tables. It usually an ugly affair. The table is often shunted in the morning with no follow up phone calls.:devil: :wink: o:)

"My kingdom for a table skirt."

ED. Ever been to sea with an edwardian antique table dressed in a wetsuit filled with organic mayonniase Billy?
Ever tried getting an antique edwardian table into a wetsuit (hence the mayonniase)? Only in California (so far).

Last edited:
I don't think that one-on-one, it will be much different than now.

How people meet has changed with internet access.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanId=sa003&articleId=79C583A1-E7F2-99DF-3BE62D88C9C352E0
The hype is huge, and the findings are somewhat disturbing--but the future of online dating looks good
By Robert Epstein

About two years ago I arranged to meet for coffee with a woman I had corresponded with online. I arrived early and sat at a table in a conspicuous spot. After a few minutes, a woman came to my table, sat down and said with big smile, "Hi, I'm Chris!"

But Chris was not the woman in the online photos. This wasn't a question of an age discrepancy or a new hairdo. She was a completely different woman. Chris was in marketing, you see, and to her it was simply a good strategy to post photographs that would draw in as many "customers" as possible. I never said a word about the photos. I just enjoyed our conversation and the refreshments. A few weeks later I noticed that Chris had replaced the photos with those of yet another woman.

In the U.S. alone, tens of millions of people are trying to find dates or spouses online every day. How accurate are the ads they find? And just how successful is online dating compared with conventional dating? These and other questions have recently stimulated a small explosion of studies by social scientists. The research is quickly revealing many surprising things about the new world of online dating, and some of the *findings could be of great value to the millions who now look to the Internet to find love.

Deception at Light Speed

Experiences such as the one I had with Chris are multiplying by the thousands: some people online lie quite drastically about their age, marital or parental status, appearance, income or profession. There are even Web sites, such as www.DontDateHimGirl.com, where people go to gripe, and a few lawsuits have been filed against online services by disgruntled suitors. Just how bad is deception in online dating?

. . . .

One will find the extreme from Victorian prudery to Greco-Roman debauchery.

It's up to one to make one's choice.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I don't think that one-on-one, it will be much different than now.

How people meet has changed with internet access.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanId=sa003&articleId=79C583A1-E7F2-99DF-3BE62D88C9C352E0

One will find the extreme from Victorian prudery to Roman debauchery.

It's up to one to make one's choice.

Well, ok, it was a reproduction antique edwardian table. Nice legs thoµgh

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa017&articleID=999330DB-E7F2-99DF-33AD3C2E9E587700
Researchers exposed 21 subjects to 30 milligrams of androstadienone and to yeast, which is not in sweat but has a similar olfactory sensation. The participants took 20 sniffs of each in two separate trials. The researchers measured physiological vital signs like body temperature, skin conductance, ear pulse, blood pressure, respiratory function and cardiac rate throughout the experiment. They also measured mood and sexual arousal by checking the levels of cortisol, a hormone that has been associated with arousal and mood, in saliva samples.

The results: smelling the androstadienone increased positive mood, total physiological arousal and sexual arousal, which grew with longer exposure. The researchers also found a significant rise in cortisol levels from the sweat component, as compared with the yeast, beginning within 15 minutes of exposure and continuing for up to an hour.
I'm too old for this anyway. :biggrin:

I'd hope eventually to see something which can permanently remove the desire or heighten it as and when required so more control was given to the individual rather than having to rely on the one-size-fits-all 'you must do it all of the time' software programmed in by our creator whoever that was.

Adder_Noir said:
I'd hope eventually to see something which can permanently remove the desire or heighten it as and when required so more control was given to the individual rather than having to rely on the one-size-fits-all 'you must do it all of the time' software programmed in by our creator whoever that was.

This is my point with the table, left turn signal, mayonaisse and other "fetish" ideas I rendered here. The future may show that the energy and time put into marketing, exploiting and selling sex today may be diverted into slightly different streams of utilization. This sort of diversion of sexual obsession might produce constructive results while maintaining the fun, sexy and mystique aspects of the traditional form of courting, copulation and the ultimate reality of parenting.

The orgasmatron is a fictional device in the fictional future society of 2173 in the Woody Allen movie Sleeper. It is a large cylinder big enough to contain one or two people. Once entered, it contains some (otherwise undescribed) future technology that rapidly induces orgasms. This is required, as almost all people in the Sleeper universe are impotent or frigid (males of Italian descent are notably excluded).[continued]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgasmatron

The orb and the orgasmatron

Last edited by a moderator:
Adder_Noir said:
It's called the 'brain' and it's operating system is the 'mind'. Control is a matter is discipline.

Astronuc said:
It's called the 'brain' and it's operating system is the 'mind'. Control is a matter is discipline.

Shocked as you may sound I disagree. Our minds have two main levels of operation. One governs analytical and learned behaviour, and the other emotional responses and drives.

Pain for example being a member of the lower categeory. You can't turn off pain when you want to. I'm sure if you asked any burning car wreck survivor that question they'd tell you that.

Also if people can control every part of their desires and intentions with their 'brain' then how do you explain irrational fears and panic?

Assuming all things in life involving people are only a matter of discipline is very draconian indeed and no doubt an attitude which has caused many a young child or genuine mental health patient immeasurable suffering and stress over the years.

To quote a wise man:

"If there's one thing people do best, it has to be ignorance."

Astronuc said:
Needless to say,the brain is the biggest sexual organ,both in men and women.
Maybe scary,but I imagine one day people making love without physical contacts.
And I'm not alluding to " virtual internet sex" phenomenology here ,already happening nowdays, but "sex" between regular / married partners.

Last edited:
tehno said:
Maybe scary,but I imagine one day people making love without physical contacts.

Taking into consideration how the typical human brain is evolving nowdays, I doubt it. :tongue:

Sex without physical contact is like driving without a car.

SF said:
Sex without physical contact is like driving without a car.

No, it's more like pretending to ride a motorcycle while riding a bicycle. :biggrin: