Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The future of tilt-rotors

1. Mar 9, 2016 #1
    Hello all,
    I am curious about other peoples opinions on the future of tilt-rotor aircraft such as ospreys. I would like to know if anybody thinks they stand a chance of over taking helicopters in civilian and or military use.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2
  4. Mar 9, 2016 #3
    yes i suppose.
    not exactly what i had in my mind but that looks good.

5. Mar 9, 2016 #4
    It's a new spin on it that can be scaled up, I imagine...

6. Mar 9, 2016 #5
    yeah i can imagine that being pretty common place pretty soon.

7. Mar 9, 2016 #6
    i wonder if they will add some form of landing gear to allow it to taxi ect.

8. Mar 9, 2016 #7
    I can see this being very popular for personal aircraft/auto hybrids, no runway required...

9. Mar 9, 2016 #8
    but from my experience flying single engine planes this would take a lot of skill to pilot.

10. Mar 9, 2016 #9
    They will be driving and flying themselves soon.

11. Mar 9, 2016 #10
    but wouldn't that take the fun out of it?
    i suppose maybe a new version of a limousine/shofer system would work

12. Mar 9, 2016 #11
    It would put the fun in it, because the vehicle would intervene before you could lose control.

13. Mar 9, 2016 #12
  14. Mar 9, 2016 #13
    i need to go now

15. Mar 9, 2016 #14
    me too

16. Mar 9, 2016 #15

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

17. Mar 10, 2016 #16
    1075140.jpg that looks quite cool
    but this is more what i had in mind

18. Mar 10, 2016 #17

cjl

I doubt it, since they need to be tremendously powerful to take off vertically and they need propellers optimized for static thrust, which tends to make them inefficient during cruise.

19. Mar 10, 2016 #18
    but take of requires the most power for any aircraft
    and besides when has someone who could consider affording such a thing cared about efficiency?
    (considering they would be very expensive in the first place)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  20. Mar 10, 2016 #19

cjl

Take off requires the most power, sure, but the amount of power for a fixed wing vs a tilt rotor is rather dramatically different. As for who would care about efficiency? Given the cost of aviation gasoline, I would assume quite a few people, and in addition, poor efficiency means poor range, which is annoying and inconvenient.

For comparison, look at the Bombardier Dash 8 series 400 vs the V-22 Osprey. The Dash 8 has a max takeoff weight of 64,500 pounds compared to the V-22's 60,500 (though it can only take off vertically at weights of 52,600 or lower). Despite this higher weight, it has a pair of 5000 hp engines, compared to the 2 engines on the V-22 which make 6150hp each, and despite the lower power, it cruises at 360 knots, compared to a maximum speed of 275 knots for the V-22 (even though it's lighter and has >20% more power). You give up rather a lot in order to have the vertical take off capability.

21. Mar 10, 2016 #20
    well considering the point of this forum is for the discussion of future usage of tilt rotors it will likley be that a cheaper fuel or a more efficient engine will have been applied.
    also i apologise if there was misunderstanding but like all personnel aircraft this would be very expensive and used only by the super rich hence they will be largely a display of wealth and so less likley to be used very regularly if they are very expensive to run in the same way on a smaller scale a Ferrari is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted