Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The gas giants in Solar system

1. Dec 21, 2007 #1
    Of the four gas giants in the Solar system, only Saturn possesses very magnificient rings. I have just read that the rings are as old as the solar system themselves.
    My question is why did only Saturn create (or receive) those rings? Is there anything to do with the side of the gas giants?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2007 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

All four gas giants in the solar system have rings.

4. Dec 21, 2007 #3
    I think the OP is probably wondering why Saturn has such a large ring system, as opposed to something like Jupiter's halo ring.

Anyways, I remember hearing somewhere that Saturn's rings aren't dynamically stable; that they will only last for a few hundred million years or so and we're lucky to be around for them. I was going to say that perhaps they are replenished by activity like the water eruptions on Enceladus, but (mass of rings) >> (mass of Enceladus).

5. Dec 21, 2007 #4
    I know that. They have (almost) the same original, but the rings are so different !.

6. Dec 21, 2007 #5
    Recent research suggests they are as old as the solar system :
    http://www.space.com/news/ap-071213-saturn-ringage.html
    and that's why I asked this question.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  7. Dec 21, 2007 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My point was simply that they are more the same than they are different. Their difference is merely a matter of degree.

Yes, I read about the new speculation as to their age.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?