1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Genetic Advantage (IQ)

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    Sure they say that if you love what you're doing, you will excel at it. But how well does that apply to math/computer related fields? From my personal observations, I have noticed that math depends more on IQ/genes for success than any other subject.

That's a strong correlation, but certainly not causal. It just seems that certain people seem to "catch on" quickly to mathematical concepts, even if they are not motivated at all. Others really try hard and enjoy math, but fall behind those people who just seem to cruise at this subject.

Other subjects seem to have room for more subjectivity. Is math a subject where pure effort cannot guarantee results? What does current psychological research say about the matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2
    No. One cannot be good at math unless he is Asian. :tongue: (just kidding)

Seriously, I think that people tend to like what they're good at, so if you like math, you're probably good at it. People who like something tend to spend more hours doing that thing so they get even better at it.

4. Apr 16, 2009 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Closed pending moderation.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook