The giants in mathematics and their works

In summary: Pure math is math which doesn't have an obvious practical application. Applied math is math which has an obvious practical application.I think one reason I'm not particularly interested in pure math is because I don't see a lot of practical applications for it. I'm more interested in the abstract theories and figuring out how they work.
HGTy
So I think everyone agrees that on the top of the list are Gauss, Euler, Newton, and so on. Yet it seems like as you get higher in mathematics, those names disappear. I mean, I'm an undergrad going for a math degree and I'm taking classes like Topology and Analysis, which came way later. All the names I hear are Cauchy and Weierstrass and some other more modern mathematicians that I've never heard of. It makes me wander if Gauss and Euler are still really the giants in mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
They're still the giants of mathematics (but there are other giants as well!). They pop up at a lot of places in undergrad mathematics, depending on what courses you take.

A fun thing to do is trying to read their works to see just how much they accomplished.

I think important thing to see is what we have is work of many civilizations and many people. I wonder what percentage of math knowledge was discovered by "the giants" you mentioned in the OP. It likely will not be a big percentage IMO.

Well what I'm trying to say is that their works seem to be irrelevant to a nowaday math major. You focus more on the "pure math", which includes more recent math like topology and analysis.
Sure Gauss, Euler, and Newton do pop out a lot, but usually in the "applied math" courses, which are to my experience not very popular with my hardcore math major friends.
I don't find myself very comfortable with pure math. And I'm under the impression that the math you do in grad school for a standard math degree is also mostly pure math. This kind of disappointed me a little bit as I had hoped that as I advanced more into mathematics, I would learn more of what Gauss and Euler did, maybe taking a few whole courses about it or something. But instead I ended up learning how to write proofs and using rigorous logics.

HGTy said:
Well what I'm trying to say is that their works seem to be irrelevant to a nowaday math major. You focus more on the "pure math", which includes more recent math like topology and analysis.
Sure Gauss, Euler, and Newton do pop out a lot, but usually in the "applied math" courses, which are to my experience not very popular with my hardcore math major friends.
I don't find myself very comfortable with pure math. And I'm under the impression that the math you do in grad school for a standard math degree is also mostly pure math. This kind of disappointed me a little bit as I had hoped that as I advanced more into mathematics, I would learn more of what Gauss and Euler did, maybe taking a few whole courses about it or something. But instead I ended up learning how to write proofs and using rigorous logics.

Maybe in a different thread tell us:
- what distinguishes pure and applied math to you,
- what about pure math are you uncomfortable with and
- what do you like about applied math.

You may find that areas which you think of as pure math have a lot of applications but perhaps you like applied math for other reasons then its applications.

Well, it's been over 300 years ago that some of them lived, so inevitably for some modern math courses you aren't going to see much of their work, as you can expect, there has been progress. Doesn't diminish or make their work obscure though.

1. Who are considered the giants in mathematics?

The giants in mathematics refer to some of the most influential and significant mathematicians in history. These include names such as Isaac Newton, Leonhard Euler, Carl Friedrich Gauss, Euclid, and Pythagoras.

2. What are some of their most famous works?

The giants in mathematics have contributed numerous works that have greatly impacted the field. Some of the most famous works include Newton's laws of motion, Euler's formula, Gauss's theorem, Euclid's Elements, and Pythagoras's theorem.

3. How have these giants shaped modern mathematics?

The works of these giants have laid the foundation for modern mathematics and have greatly influenced the development of various mathematical theories and principles. Their contributions have also led to advancements in other fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What challenges did these giants face in their time?

Many of these giants faced significant challenges during their time, including limited resources and support, as well as resistance to their ideas from the scientific community. Some, like Pythagoras, were even persecuted for their beliefs.

5. How can we continue to honor and learn from the works of these giants?

One way to honor and learn from the works of these giants is to study and appreciate their contributions to mathematics. Another way is to build upon their ideas and continue to push the boundaries of mathematical knowledge and understanding.