Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Grand Pepper Shaker Mystery

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    So we have this pepper shaker made of glass with a print on it.

pepper_shaker_2.jpg

One fine dinner, it ran out of pepper, so I opened the lid to fill it in and noticed a peculiar thing – small particles of pepper dust were stuck to the inside glass walls but only in places, where the print wasn’t present on the other side. Everywhere directly behing the print, the pepper particles almost didn’t stick to the glass.

(These photos also show vertical traces from a spoon, which are not relevant, I hope you’ll see the phenomenon anyway.)

pepper_stuck.jpg

I’ve been wondering about this for a while and been thinking whether it’s got to do with light, or light and humidity, or electric charge…

But as for now, I don’t have the final answer, so I’ve decided to ask the Internet.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fine particles stick to stuff through electric charge and/or trace moisture. I'd suspect charge here ...

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I wonder if sunlight charges the glass, so the print blocked the sun.

If you wipe it off does the pepper still stick? I wonder if you can find out how long it takes to get static built up. Then you could see if keeping it out of the sun changes that.

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Or heats the glass, reducing the condensation.

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, it would be hard to control for that without a careful setup which is probably not feasible.

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think there is enough information to confirm the dominant mechanism ... I usually think of charging by sunlight or rubbing when looking at glass.
    ... among other things that is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook