1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The graph is connected

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f:X→Y we a continuous map. Let
    Γ(x)={(x,f(x))∈X×Y}

a) Show that if X is connected, then Γ is connected.
    b) Show that if Y is hausdorrf then Γ is a closed subset of X×Y.

2. Relevant equations
    thm: if X is connected the image of a continuous map f:X→Y is connected.
    thm: The product space of two connected spaces is connected.
    thm: X is hausdorrf iff the diagonal is closed (?)
    def: A space is hausdorrf if each pair of distinct points have neighborhoods that are disjoint.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Since f:X→Y is continuous, the image is going to be connected. Therefore image(f(X))[itex]\subset[/itex] Y is connected. Also given two connected spaces the product space is also connected, therefore X×image(f(X)) is connected. Therefore Γ is connected? This seemed too easy so im not sure if I left a huge hole here...

b) Y is hausdorrf. Therefore given any points y1≠y2 we can find a disjoint neighborhoods U and V around y1 and y2 respectfully. I also know that the diagonal, D, is closed, {(y,y)|y is in Y}. Not sure what to do next. Maybe consider the complement and try to do a proof similar to the diagonal proof? The complement of D would be open. I dont think Y being hausdorrf implies that f(x1) and f(x2) have disjoint neighborhoods so I'm not sure where to go next.

Edit: *Being Hausdorrf implies that sequences converge to at most one point. *Does this mean that f(x_n) converges to f(x) in this case? *

I don't want any flat out answers, I just want to know what I should be looking for.
    Also new here to the physics forums, if my write up is awful please tell me :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2
    I might have it. consider y≠f(x) then (y,f(x)) is in the complement of Γ. Take y in U and f(x) in V. Since Y is hausdorrf x and f(x) have disjoint nighborhoods in Y. Suppose U[itex]\cap[/itex] V ≠∅ then there exists x=f(x), which is a contradiction, therefore given any ordered pair (y,f(x)) the neighborhood UxV is open in the complement of the graph? Therefore the graph is closed?

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you conclude that? It's certainly not true that an arbitrary subset of a connected set is connected.

Try working with the definition. Assume [itex]\Gamma(X)[/itex] is disconnected. Then [itex]\Gamma(X)[/itex] is the disjoint union of two open sets [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex]. What can you say about the inverse images, [itex]\Gamma^{-1}(U)[/itex] and [itex]\Gamma^{-1}(V)[/itex], of these sets?

5. Oct 3, 2012 #4
    I concluded this with a theorem from my book. "The image of a connected space under a continuous map is connected." So I thought maybe given X is connected the image of f was connected, and I just threw in the subset of Y because every point in the graph is an element in XxY.

And to answer your question.
    Γ−1(U) and Γ−1(V) are disjoint and open in X?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  6. Oct 3, 2012 #5
    Actually since this is the inverse image of f, then wouldn't that mean that Γ−1(U) and Γ−1(V) are disjoint and open in X and their union is the whole space X? Contradicting the fact that X was connected?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook