Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The graph of a continuous function has zero content

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    Good morning, I am trying to understand why this statement is true:

"If f, a real function of real variable, is continuous on the closed interval [a, b], then the graph of the function, v. gr. the set { (x, f(x)) / a < x < b }, has zero content".

I have found this proof in the web:

As f is uniformly continuous in [a, b], then for every natural n there is a natural m such that if x, y belong to [a, b] and |x - y| < (b - a)/m, then
    |f(x) - f(y)| < 1/n.

Then the next rectangles in RxR (j= 1,2,...,m) cover the set { (x, f(x)) / a < x < b }:

[ a + (1/m)(j-1)(b-a) - 1/mn, a + (1/m)j(b-a) + 1/mn] x

[ f(a + (1/m)(j-1)(b-a)) - 1/n - 1/mn, f(a + (1/m)(j-1)(b-a)) + 1/n + 1/mn]

Is simple to proof that this collection of rectangles has zero content, because its area -> 0 when n -> +oo.

But I do not understand how can we be sure that said rectangles cover the graphic of the function f.

Let's take some x, y of [a,b] such that |x-y| < (b-a)/m. Then there is some j such that x, y belong to

[ a + (1/m)(j-1)(b-a) - 1/mn, a + (1/m)j(b-a) + 1/mn]

But I do not see how this would asure that the values f(x) and f(y) belong to the real interval

I know that the values f(x) and f(y) fulfill |f(x) - f(y)| < 1/n, but this does not implies that f(x) and f(y) belong to the real interval

So how, please, how can we asure that those collection of rectangles in RxR covers the graph of the function f ????

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just draw a picture.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    Matt:

Supose I take x1 and x2 in the x axis such that both belong to [a,b] and |x1 - x2| < (b-a)/m.

There is necesarily a "j" such that x1, x2 belong to the real interval [a + {(1/m)(j-1)(b-a)} - (1/mn), a + {(1/m)j(b-a)} + (1/mn)].

But this does not imply that f(x), f(y) belong to the real interval

[f(a + (1/m)(j-1)(b-a)) - (1/n) - (1/mn), f(a + (1/m)(j-1)(b-a)) + (1/n) + (1/mn)]

Maybe both are < f(a + (1/m)(j-1)(b-a)) - (1/n) - (1/mn)
    or maybe > f(a + (1/m)(j-1)(b-a)) + (1/n) + (1/mn).
    how can I know?? The drawing doesn't makes this imposible.

Thanks for your help and excuse my bad english.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Er, no I don't believe that you can necessarily state x1 and x2 lie in the same interval. And that isn't important.

Split the region between a and b into m smaller intervals. The image of some part each interval lies in some region of some given length using the uniform continuity of f in a nice wa, so it all covers (like i said draw a picture for a simple example to get the idea, try f(x)=x on [0,1]), so the area we can work out in terms of m and n. Then we can probably do soemthing like let m tend to infinity, then n tend to infinity and we are done.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?