Is Gravity Merely a Byproduct of Electromagnetic Forces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Gravitational constant G and its relationship to mass and distance in the gravitational force. The speaker also expresses their suspicion that gravity may be related to electromagnetic/quantum activity and raises the question of whether gravity is a byproduct of the electromagnetic force. The conversation also mentions the numerical and dimensional equality between G and Planck units, specifically Planck length, mass, and time. However, this is dismissed as a tautology and the conversation is closed.
CDooli
Hello,

I am vexed by the Gravitational constant G.

I have always thought that the gravitational force is proportional to mass and inversely proportional to distance^2, but it seems that it cannot be as cut-and-dry as this if we need to scale the relationship by G, with units of distance^3 / ( mass * time^2 ). My inner suspicions tell me that the gravitational force may be more subtlety related to electromagnetic/quantum activity, with the masses of the bodies involved as the true scaling factors...

Apparently, G is numerically and dimensionally equal to Planck_length^3 / ( Planck_mass * Planck_time^2 )... Therefore, G is intimately related to Planck's constant h, which lies at the very heart of quantum theory. Does this bother anyone else?

I suppose this is my question: is it possible that gravity is actually a byproduct of the electromagnetic force, and, because all the mass of celestial bodies consists of an equilibrium of charge, we can use mass as a direct scaling factor for the gravitational force?

All bodies with a temperature above absolute zero give off thermal radiation, which is electromagnetic, in spherical wavefronts. Is it possible that gravity is not the curvature of spacetime, but some kind of net reaction/bias applied the electromagnetic properties of free space?

Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
CDooli said:
Apparently, G is numerically and dimensionally equal to Planck_length^3 / ( Planck_mass * Planck_time^2 )... Therefore, G is intimately related to Planck's constant h, which lies at the very heart of quantum theory. Does this bother anyone else?

Well, when you consider that the Planck length, mass, and time include ##G## in their definition, it's not so surprising that with a bit of algebra I can write G in terms of those quantities... and it doesn't show any intimate relationship between ##G## and ##h##.

CDooli said:
Hello,

I am vexed by the Gravitational constant G.

I have always thought that the gravitational force is proportional to mass and inversely proportional to distance^2, but it seems that it cannot be as cut-and-dry as this if we need to scale the relationship by G, with units of distance^3 / ( mass * time^2 ).
In Newtonian mechanics, gravitational force is proportional to the product of the two masses that are attracting one another gravitational and is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects: ##F\propto \frac {m_1m_2}{r^2}##. Writing this proportionality as an equality yields ##F = G \frac {m_1m_2}{r^2}##. The units of this constant of proportionality are trivially length3mass-1time-2.

My inner suspicions tell me that the gravitational force may be more subtlety related to electromagnetic/quantum activity, with the masses of the bodies involved as the true scaling factors...
A strong word of warning: Read our rules. You haven't breached them yet, but you are *this* close to doing so, and this is not a minor breach.

Please.

That G is equal to Planck_length^3 / ( Planck_mass * Planck_time^2 ) is a tautology. It is implicit in how those Planck units, particularly Planck mass, are defined.There is nothing to discuss here. Thread closed.

1. What is the Gravitational Constant?

The Gravitational Constant, denoted by the symbol G, is a physical constant that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects with mass. It is an important factor in Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and is used to calculate the force of gravity between any two objects in the universe.

2. How is the Gravitational Constant measured?

The Gravitational Constant is typically measured using a device called a torsion balance, which measures the amount of torque needed to twist a wire. By measuring the amount of torque needed to twist the wire when two masses are placed at different distances from each other, the Gravitational Constant can be calculated.

3. What is the value of the Gravitational Constant?

The currently accepted value of the Gravitational Constant is approximately 6.67430 x 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2. This value was determined by the Cavendish experiment in 1798 and has been refined through numerous experiments since then.

4. Is the Gravitational Constant the same everywhere?

Yes, the Gravitational Constant is considered to be a universal constant, meaning it is the same everywhere in the universe. This has been confirmed through various experiments and observations, including the orbits of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies.

5. Can the Gravitational Constant change over time?

According to our current understanding of physics, the Gravitational Constant is a fundamental constant that does not change over time. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose that the Gravitational Constant may vary in certain scenarios. This is still a topic of research and debate among scientists.