Calculating Gravitational Force Between Earth & 2.6-kg Object

In summary, the problem is asking to calculate the magnitude of gravitational force between the Earth and a 2.600-kg mass on the surface of the Earth. Using the equation F = G(M1*M2)/r^2, and the given values of the mass of the Earth, the mass of the object, and the distance between them, the magnitude of the gravitational force can be calculated. This should take about 5 seconds to solve, but if the G constant is used, the answer will be incorrect. Instead, the force can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where a is the gravitational acceleration, g. Therefore, the force acting on the 2.600-kg mass on the surface of the Earth can
Cloudy789

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force between the Earth and a 2.600-kg mass on the surface of the earth. The distance to the center of the Earth from the surface is 6370 km and the mass of the Earth is 5.98e+24 kg. HINT: This problem should take you about 5 seconds to solve. If you use G to answer this problem, you are not thinking.

M object = 2.6 kg
M Earth = 5.98 X10+24
G constant = 9.81 m/s^2
Distance between masses = 6,370,000 m

Homework Equations

F = G[(M1*M2)/r^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

9.81[(2.6*5.98e+24)/(6,370,000^2)]
9.81[(1.5548e+25)/(4.05769e+13)]
9.81(3.832e+11)
3.7589e+12 N

Yet, Capa says this is wrong and I can't think of another way to do this. Especially not without the G Constant.

Physics news on Phys.org

This should take 5 seconds to solve as the problem stated.

F = ma

What is a? When one says F = mg, where g is the gravitational acceleration, what is the force acting upon?

Wow... I am truly an idiot.
Thank you.

Ok, so I'm working on the same problem and feel like a complete moron because I don't see what you're getting at... could someone give me a bit more information so I can understand where this problem is heading... thanks.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and also considering the units of your answer. The gravitational force is typically measured in Newtons (N), not meters (m). Additionally, you may want to review the formula for calculating gravitational force, as it should include the G constant. It is an important constant in physics and cannot be disregarded in this calculation. I would also recommend converting all the units to SI units (kilograms, meters, seconds) to ensure accuracy in your calculation. Finally, I would suggest using scientific notation or a calculator to avoid any potential rounding errors in your calculation. Overall, it is important to pay attention to details and be precise in scientific calculations.

1. How is gravitational force between Earth & 2.6-kg object calculated?

The gravitational force between two objects can be calculated using the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass.

2. What is the value of the universal gravitational constant, G?

The universal gravitational constant, G, is a fundamental constant in physics and its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that as the mass of one or both objects increases, the gravitational force between them will also increase.

4. Does the distance between the objects affect the gravitational force?

Yes, the distance between two objects affects the gravitational force between them. The force of gravity decreases as the distance between the objects increases, according to the inverse square law.

5. Can the gravitational force between two objects ever be zero?

No, the gravitational force between two objects can never be zero as long as they have mass. However, the force may become extremely small if the distance between the objects is very large or if one of the objects has a very small mass.