The Gravitational Force (between two spherical objects)

In summary, a bowling ball and a billiard ball, each with their respective masses and radii, can be treated as uniform spheres. To find the maximum gravitational force between them, the equation F=Gm1m2/r^2 can be used, where r is the distance between the two spheres. If the maximum force is desired, the distance between the spheres should be at its minimum, which occurs when they are next to each other. In this case, the radii of the spheres can be added together to determine the value of r.
princess7115
A bowling ball (mass=7.2 kg, radius=0.11m_ and a billiard ball (mass=.38kg, radius= .082m) may each be treated as uniform spheres. What is the magnitude of the maximum gravitational force that each can exert on the other?

I figured I was supposed to use F=Gm1m2/r^2 but I didn't know how to use the equation because the problem gave me to radii.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if we want the maximum force, what can you say about the distance between them?

i'm not sure, I really don't get it. I just know that I'm supposed to use r and in every other problem, they give it to me and I don't know why I have two distances.

ok, what is r?

I got it. I just added the radii together. Because I figured if it didn't tell me how far apart the spheres were, I had to assume they were next to each other.

that is the way but it is not because the question didn't give you the distance.
maximum force means the distance is the least, this happens when they are next to each other, and that is why you add the radii together to get the r.

awesome, thank you for your help

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two spherical objects?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force between two spherical objects is F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass.

2. How does the distance between two objects affect the gravitational force between them?

The gravitational force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the gravitational force it exerts on another object?

The gravitational force an object exerts on another object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the force it exerts also increases.

4. Can the gravitational force between two objects ever be zero?

Yes, the gravitational force between two objects can be zero if the distance between them is infinite or if one of the objects has no mass. In these cases, the force is effectively negligible.

5. How does the gravitational force between two spherical objects compare to the force between two point masses?

The gravitational force between two spherical objects is the same as the force between two point masses if the masses are evenly distributed throughout the objects. However, if the masses are not evenly distributed, the force may differ slightly due to the varying distances between their centers of mass.