How Do You Calculate Gravitational Force Correctly?

In summary, the acceleration of gravity at the equator of the planet with a radius of 7.58 * 10^7 m and mass of 6.15 * 10^26 kg is 7.1437m/s2.
pookisantoki
A planet has an euqatorial radius of 7.58 * 10^7 m and mass of 6.15 * 10^26 kg. Compute the acceleration of gravity at the equator of this planet.
I used the formula f=G (m1*m2)/(r^2)

i plugged it into the formula
f= (6.674 *10^-11) (6.15 *10^26)/((7.58 * 10^7)^2)= 7.1437N

accerleration= 7.1437/6.15 *10^26=1.1616 * 10^-26

but the answer is wrong, what am i doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
pookisantoki said:
A planet has an euqatorial radius of 7.58 * 10^7 m and mass of 6.15 * 10^26 kg. Compute the acceleration of gravity at the equator of this planet.
I used the formula f=G (m1*m2)/(r^2)

i plugged it into the formula
f= (6.674 *10^-11) (6.15 *10^26)/((7.58 * 10^7)^2)= 7.1437N

What you did here was calculate GM/r2.

Acceleration due to gravity is defined as F/m or simply GM/r2. So you found the acceleration due to gravity already, so your 7.1437N is really supposed to be 7.1437m/s2

Your calculation is correct, but the units for acceleration should be expressed as meters per second squared (m/s^2). So the correct answer should be 1.1616 * 10^-26 m/s^2. Also, make sure to double check the units for the gravitational constant (G) and the values for mass and radius to ensure they are in the correct units (kilograms and meters).

1. What is the gravitational force?

The gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to attract one another. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, as well as objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does the gravitational force work?

The gravitational force works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. The distance between two objects also affects the strength of the gravitational force, with the force decreasing as the distance increases.

3. What is the mathematical formula for calculating the gravitational force?

The mathematical formula for calculating the gravitational force is F = G x (m1 x m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does the gravitational force change with distance?

The gravitational force follows the inverse-square law, which means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force decreases by the square of that distance. For example, if the distance between two objects doubles, the gravitational force decreases by a factor of four.

5. How does the gravitational force affect the motion of objects?

The gravitational force affects the motion of objects by causing them to accelerate towards each other. This acceleration is dependent on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass or the closer the distance, the stronger the acceleration and the faster the objects will move towards each other.