Graviton Spin: What is Moment of Inertia x Angular Frequency?

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graviton
In summary, spin in quantum mechanics is not the same as moment of inertia and angular frequency in classical mechanics. It cannot be visualized in a classical way and is instead an abstract mathematical property of particles. This concept was first proposed by Daniel and has been demonstrated through the Einstein-de Haas effect.
Chaos' lil bro Order
If Spin is 'moment of inertia' (I) x 'angular frequency' (w), what does it mean when we say a particle has spin = 1 or spin =2 like in the theoretical Graviton's case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who claimed that "Spin is 'moment of inertia' (I) x 'angular frequency' (w)" ?

Daniel.

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
If Spin is 'moment of inertia' (I) x 'angular frequency' (w),

Electrons and other fundamental particles are not little tiny pellets that spin about their axes. As far as we know, they are pointlike and cannot be thought of as having a moment of inertia or an angular velocity. Nevertheless, they have intrinsic angular momentum, which cannot be "pictured" in any classical-like fashion as far as I know.

Electron "spins" do contribute to the total angular momentum of macroscopic objects. This is demonstraed by the Einstein-de Haas effect.

in short, spin in quantum mechanics cannot be visualized classically. Unfortunately, we have to take it as an abstract mathematical property of any particle, like charge, mass etc.

1. What is Graviton Spin?

Graviton spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a graviton, which is a theoretical particle proposed to mediate the force of gravity.

2. What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is Angular Frequency?

Angular frequency is a measure of how quickly an object rotates around an axis. It is equal to the ratio of the angular velocity to the radius of rotation.

4. How are Moment of Inertia and Angular Frequency related?

Their product, moment of inertia multiplied by angular frequency, is equal to the rotational kinetic energy of an object. This means that as one increases, the other must decrease to maintain the same amount of energy.

5. Why is the concept of Graviton Spin important?

The concept of graviton spin is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gravity at the quantum level and could potentially lead to a unified theory of all forces in the universe. It also has implications for understanding the structure of space-time and the nature of black holes.