Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Graviton, what?

1. Apr 2, 2006 #1
    If Spin is 'moment of inertia' (I) x 'angular frequency' (w), what does it mean when we say a particle has spin = 1 or spin =2 like in the theoretical Graviton's case?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who claimed that "Spin is 'moment of inertia' (I) x 'angular frequency' (w)" ?

Daniel.

4. Apr 3, 2006 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Electrons and other fundamental particles are not little tiny pellets that spin about their axes. As far as we know, they are pointlike and cannot be thought of as having a moment of inertia or an angular velocity. Nevertheless, they have intrinsic angular momentum, which cannot be "pictured" in any classical-like fashion as far as I know.

Electron "spins" do contribute to the total angular momentum of macroscopic objects. This is demonstraed by the Einstein-de Haas effect.

5. Apr 3, 2006 #4
    in short, spin in quantum mechanics cannot be visualized classically. Unfortunately, we have to take it as an abstract mathematical property of any particle, like charge, mass etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?