Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The great destroyer: human or nonhuman nature?

1. Human malevolence and ignorance

4 vote(s)
  2. Natural predation and randomness

0 vote(s)
  3. Both are equally lethal

0 vote(s)
  4. Neither is significant

0 vote(s)
  1. Apr 16, 2003 #1
    Is human malevolence or natural predation more destructive to life?
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2003 #2
    Malevolence in response to malevolence in response to predation.

nuke holocaust because terrorists nuked a city because US imperialism.

that's the "end-times" scenario i see most likely to happen. what would result from a sudden mushroom cloud over NYC or DC? it would get crazy and i could see many nukes going all over the place.....
  4. Apr 17, 2003 #3
    i think i misunderstood, overall life? predation is more destructive..
  5. Apr 17, 2003 #4
    I agree with the malevolence part, but not the ignorance part. Ignorance is defined as unaware. Humans are perfectly aware of the dangers involved with recklessly cutting down trees and stuff. A better word to use is obstinate.
  6. Apr 17, 2003 #5
    i agree...
    human cant always find a reason for the wrong thing they do
  7. Apr 17, 2003 #6
    Loren Booda, as usual you have come up with a very thought-provoking poll. I chose Human Malevolence. I did so because nature seems to keep itself in check, and maintain homeostasis, until the introduction of Humans. In fact, the second stage of the developement of an environment is caused by either natural disasters or human intervention (which is practically the same thing anyway:wink:).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?