Can Satellites Break Through China's Great Firewall?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China
In summary: What about satelites? They are illegal for private use in China too, but widespread. I would like to know how to use satelites for internet connection.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Will China be able to hold back the age of information?

...He went to an Internet bar, just typed in two words, "Falun Gong." Instantly, the sirens went off. And then the police came in front of him within one minute. So that's how bad it is, because they have the ways to monitor what people are doing on the Internet, especially in the Internet bar. [continued]

However, I see no way to keep a lid on the internet. Already the Chinese find themselves in a race to keep ahead of technology that bypasses Chinese filters. And there are additional pressures as well.

I think the solution for the whole business community, to really know that it's not that they need China, but China needs them, too. They need to stick to all of us in the international business community, to stick to our principles, you know, the freedom and the democracy, and that way we can slowly force China to change, rather than China changing us.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/asia/jan-june06/china_4-18.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the Chinese government is anything like ours, they won't be able to keep up with technology and hackers.

...He went to an Internet bar, just typed in two words, "Falun Gong." Instantly, the sirens went off.
That could be fun. :biggrin:

Something to look forward to the next time I go to China. :rofl:

Last edited:
It would be terribly easy to "frame" someone then. :smile:

Pengwuino said:
If the Chinese government is anything like ours, they won't be able to keep up with technology and hackers.
Of cource not.I wonder if the government is hireing hackers to destroy the great firewall of china.Weren't trying to recurit hackers defcon?

Astronuc said:
That could be fun. :biggrin:

Something to look forward to the next time I go to China. :rofl:

It's good to know that you find humor in oppression.

Ivan Seeking said:
It's good to know that you find humor in oppression.
It's a way to fight the system. I am sure the authorities would be really pissed.

It is better to be subtle and maneuver under their radar screen, rather than direct confrontation.

This is why China is moving away from the IETF DNS specification's and will implement its own root domains. Right Now China has to allow everything and then block what they don't want joe blogs to see. When they implement there own dns roots they can block everything and allow what they want joe blogs to see... It will more or less "Break" the internet, and sandbox China...

Anttech said:
This is why China is moving away from the IETF DNS specification's and will implement its own root domains. Right Now China has to allow everything and then block what they don't want joe blogs to see. When they implement there own dns roots they can block everything and allow what they want joe blogs to see... It will more or less "Break" the internet, and sandbox China...
What about satelites? They are illegal for private use in China too, but widespread. I would like to know how to use satelites for internet connection.

What is "The Great Firewall of China"?

The Great Firewall of China is a colloquial term for the internet censorship and surveillance system implemented by the Chinese government to regulate and control access to online content within the country.

How does "The Great Firewall of China" work?

The Great Firewall of China works by using a combination of technical and regulatory measures. This includes blocking access to certain websites and webpages, filtering keywords and phrases, and monitoring online activity of citizens.

What websites and content are blocked by "The Great Firewall of China"?

The Chinese government has a broad and constantly evolving list of websites and content that are blocked by the Great Firewall. This includes social media platforms, news websites, and search engines that are deemed politically sensitive or harmful to the Chinese government's agenda.

How does "The Great Firewall of China" affect internet users in China?

The Great Firewall of China significantly restricts the online experience for internet users in China. They are unable to access many popular websites and are limited in their access to information and communication with the outside world. It also puts their online activities under surveillance and can lead to consequences for those who attempt to bypass the firewall.

Can people in China bypass "The Great Firewall of China"?

Yes, it is possible for people in China to bypass the Great Firewall using virtual private networks (VPNs) or other methods. However, the Chinese government has also implemented measures to block and crack down on the use of VPNs, making it increasingly difficult for citizens to access uncensored internet content.