Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The great fortune-cookie fraud

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The time has come when I can no longer tolerate one of the great deceptions of modern life - fortune cookie fraud. Earlier I opened three prepackaged cookies provided by a credible and reliable Chinese restaurant, that were each clearly labeled as a "Fortune Cookie". But when I anxiously read my fortunes, so that I would know what to expect tomorrow, instead I got:

1). You have the ability to be persuasive
    2). Talent does what it can. Genius does what it must.
    3). You are contemplative and analytical by nature.

Clearly 1 and 3 were statement of fact cookies masquerading as fortune cookies. Yes, I am contemplative, analytical, and persuasive; all true, but that is not a fortune. If I want a statement of fact cookie, I will go to a restaurant owned by Obama supporters. In case 2, we clearly have a wisdom of the ages cookie. Yes, I am a genius, which is why I must write this post, but if I had wanted the wisdom of the ages, I would have gone out for Greek.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Obviously this thread is bordering on fringe conspiracy theories. Fortune cookies are proven science and to demean the Chinese culture is a hate crime.

Locked pending moderation.

4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    I agree. At first I thought to myself, a real fortune would be too risky. But then I thought, a real fortune wouldn't have to be any more risky even. For example, "you will be contemplative and analytical tomorrow," that's a bit more of a fortune.

5. Feb 12, 2010 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My older daughter solved the fortune cookie odds, when she turned it over and saw the string of numbers across the bottom. She read the fortune then turned it over and said "and the odds of this happening are 5 23 678 92 537", she was 5 years old.

6. Feb 12, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

There is no question that fortune quality has declined over the years.

I must say though, I got the funniest fortune ever once:

The first love, the last love: self love.

Good thing I wasn't on a date...

7. Feb 12, 2010 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I opened a fortune cookie once...and it was blank. It was at The Happy Buddha in Houston, I was with 2 of my girlfriends. Sums my life up perfectly.

8. Feb 12, 2010 #7

hahahaha oh man barely appropriate for physics forums

9. Feb 13, 2010 #8

Tsu

Gold Member

Yeah, but what irks me the most is those dang 'bad advice' cookies. They're just the pits. :biggrin:

10. Feb 13, 2010 #9
    "You will cross the Yellow River many times", received by a little girl who was still wetting her bed. True story.

11. Feb 13, 2010 #10
    Ivan, you're supposed to eat the entire cookie before reading the fortunes. Otherwise they turn into faux wisdom. You're also supposed to eat them with eyes closed, and more importantly, choose only the cookies on the highest quality china that happen to be pointing at you.

Then you have to eat the fortune to make it come true.

12. Feb 13, 2010 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check. Did that. If I don't eat them quickly, my wife will get them.

Wow, "wisdom" is more complicated than I thought.

With my coordination skills, that gets tricky.

I did choose only the ones wrapped in the finest plastic.

13. Feb 13, 2010 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Query: Does the expiration date apply to the fortune or the cookie?

14. Feb 13, 2010 #13
    I've got you all beat.

My wife got one that said "An alien will be appearing to you shortly."

That was the weirdest and best I've seen.

15. Feb 13, 2010 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

And...?

16. Feb 15, 2010 #15
    Well, obviously an alien appeared to her shortly. Duh.

17. Feb 15, 2010 #16
    I have one that says:

"Come back later, I am sleeping (fortune cookies need their rest too!)"

I can scan it if you want!

18. Feb 15, 2010 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This one is interesting: Help! I'm being held hostage in a Fortune Cookie factory.

19. Feb 16, 2010 #18
    Well, I think you can find an information in some site that they show a recipe like fortune cookies like that. However, try to ask in some friend of you if they know the fortune cookie.

20. Feb 24, 2010 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't seen a good fortune cookie (meaning with an actual fortune as opposed to an ego boost statement) in a long time.

Whatever happened to ones like, "Money will soon come your way," that were followed by the waiter bringing back my change? :biggrin:

21. Mar 1, 2010 #20
    My favorite will always be "That wasn't chicken."

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook