Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The great melting day!

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Today is the great melting day in Oslo.
    The icicles from the roofs are finally yielding, and there is a constant dribbling down the walls, with the occasional, hazardous crash when a bigger piece of ice breaks off and smashes into the pavement.

It is our first sign of approaching springtime. :smile:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2
    As someone who has suffered from SAD for the last 20 years the end of winter is more than just a return to warm hot days. It's not haveing Asthma any more, not oversleeping and being late for work, not having to take antidepressants and their resultant side effects not feeling anxious for no reason, not being bad tempered and iritable, and not being walked around by people like there standing on eggshells. To name just a few things. Halelujah!!! Spring is coming!!:biggrin:

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Not to mention the return of light clothes, and sexy bodies hardly covered by them..:smile:

5. Feb 23, 2006 #4
    spring seems to have avoided sweden :(

6. Feb 23, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That is your just reward for having stolen our Olympics medals.

7. Feb 23, 2006 #6
    we cant help that we are so good ;)

8. Feb 23, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just you wait. Bjørn Dæhlie ain't dead yet. :grumpy:

9. Feb 23, 2006 #8
    To be dead honest I dont follow the winter olympics so I have no clue who björn is :)

10. Feb 23, 2006 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's Bjørn, not Björn. :grumpy:

11. Feb 23, 2006 #10
    My first spring flower, a very early yellow crocus, bloomed today! Yes there is hope..better weather, right around the corner!

12. Feb 23, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Crocuses are beautiful! :smile:

13. Feb 23, 2006 #12
    :rofl: bah you norweigan heathens should learn to speak and write proper swedish :biggrin:

14. Feb 23, 2006 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Swedish is not a proper language. It is an aberration.

15. Feb 23, 2006 #14
    I haven't seen icicles in years. But I spent my life up to the age of thirty in icicle country: New Hampshire, Ohio, Minnesota. So, I know what you mean. The exitement of noticing them all start to drip, and then seeing gaps on the roofs where some have given way and dropped off, is fantastic.

Somebody circumvented all that for me, though, by arranging a trip here to San Diego in the middle of winter. It was unseasonably warm here, and when I stepped out of the airport to 80 degree weather in the middle of January, I was hooked deeply. Had to get back here to live.

Now, 20 years later, I don't naturally think about icicles, or snow shoveling unless someone else brings it up.

16. Feb 23, 2006 #15
    you keep messing me up with that new avatar zoob, i keep forgetting it was you. i was about to be like "Did someone say new hampshire?!?!" but yeah, i've known you lived there. here in mass we haven't really had snow for a while now. i think it snowed a tad over the weekend, but we've been looking at the dead grass for a while now. spring is sooo ugly until stuff starts to bloom.

17. Feb 23, 2006 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Congratulations! We have had a rather warm winter so far (central Maine) and a few days ago the temperature got up the mid-40's so I broke out the Harley and rode to my old stomping grounds to visit my father. He was not too suprised to see me - last year, I rode up when the temperature was in the mid-30's and it was snowing lightly when I got to his house. I didn't mind that, but I got caught in a pretty cold rain when I got back to lower elevations.

18. Feb 23, 2006 #17
    you got it confused with danish now that is a uggly language:rofl: :rofl:

19. Feb 23, 2006 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Danish is, as everybody knows, not a language, but a throat disease.

But, really: "ehuru", and even worse, "ehuruvida"?:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
    Swedes should be ashamed of themselves.

20. Feb 23, 2006 #19
    what ancient book did you dust of to find those words:bugeye: had to look them up :tongue2:

21. Feb 23, 2006 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

They are used all the time in Swedish.
    Besides, that's not all!

"Trädgård"-garden. The dumb Swedes use this for a garden even if it hasn't got any trees (Träd) in it (It means "tree-garden").

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?